THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Compound or Crossbow? Hints for a Newbie

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compound or Crossbow? Hints for a Newbie
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gidday Guys,

I have totally no idea about bow hunting as I have been a died in the wool rifle hunter all my life but I have found a large herd of fallow deer very close (200 metres from the houses) to an urban centre and have gained permission from the land owner to hunt them with a bow or crossbow.

What is more effective, a bow or a cross bow ? What are the advantages of each and What advise can you give a rookie?

All help would be greatly appreciated as I am like a virgin when it comes to the stick and string hunting.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, having used both with a good degree of success on whitetails, it depends on several things. Do you have a lot of time to become proficient with a compound before season, or are you getting ready to hunt shortly? The effective range of these two are very similar. The compound will actually have better energy downrange, but in reasonable hunting distances, there's not much difference. If you're looking to get something that you'll be proficient with quickly, get the crossbow. If you're wanting to spend a bunch of time, and start a new hobby, get a compound. JMHO

gd

One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
Get a compound bow.. once you have shot something with a compound bow you will realise that no explanation is needed

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hamish, go for the compound bow. NZ dosn't seem to have many xbow shooters, and you will find it way easier to sort out advice and equipment if you stick with the compound.
I found when I started, that it wasn't difficult to learn to shoot straight, rather the hard part was learning when to come to full draw when you are close. Also most of the bowshops in NZ offer some level of training when you purchase from them.

Posts: 4231 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Crossbow. I took up archery in high school and then dropped it for 30+ years. Reluctantly I took up crossbow for hunting not unlike that which you describe. Except for stalking (the width makes a crossbow awkward), I've found a crossbow to be far superior in every way to a bow. The greatest advantage is that you don't have to spend a hour a week practicing to be good enough to hunt ethically. That was what I found my minimum was with a bow. Try some of the crossbow websites to give yourself some background if a crossbow intimidates.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hamish

I bought a compound bow just this August first.

I cannot wait to hunt with it.

Now I did shoot a straight bow [ala Howard Hill] when I was a kid, but did not hunt big game with it.

The compound bow adds another demension to hunting, a greater challenge if you will.

The challenge to get close, to wait for the proper angle/shot, drawing back the bow at the right moment.

I have not found it hard to shoot the bow at all. Just do not get one that is too heavy a poundage for you starting out.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes this will piss some people off too bad.

Be a man and not a weenie shoot a bow.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer your question The crossbow would be a more effective weapon for you because you are have just started hunting with archery equipment. The biggest advantage is movement is minimal with a crossbow. The biggest disadvantage with a crossbow is they are not very satisfing to shoot and it is sort of like carrying a lawn chair through the woods. I personally enjoy shooting my compound and I spend about 5 hours a week doing it. After you master the skill of getting within 25 yards of the deer ( I don't mean to Imply that you cannot already) but learning to hunt with archery equipment is totally different than hunting with a firearm it will take some time to learn how to read the wind and in these first few attempts you are better off using a weapon that is eaiser to master.