New
Find
Notify
Tools

kid starter package
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would be a good kid starter package for bow shooting? My son is twelve years old, and started constructing a bow from branches and elastic bands. I figured maybe he would like to shoot a "real" bow...

Would it be the 'Walmart Special', or local equivalent, basically a colourful stickbow with equally colourful and hopefully straight arrows, or something else. I don't mean to spend hundreds, because the interest might be gone tomorrow. We tried shooting my bow, with some assistance from me, but that just doesn't work. And so shortly for my bear hunt I don't want to tune down the draw weight on mine... maybe over the summer, but not now!

Any suggestions?

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some pretty decent kids compounds. Or you could buy a nice little recurve off of e-bay pretty cheap. I bet that if you intend to continue shooting that the kid will continue to shoot. Especially if he gets to shoot with dad, and eventually go hunting!! He'd be right into gophers etc. It's too bad you're stuck on the "dark side" with the compound Razzer I think that for a kid the simplicity of a recurve might be more fun, I'm obviously biased here though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At 12 yrs old he's in training for future hunts so don't get him something too simplistic. I used to have a 30 lb recurve but I gave it away to a kid, too bad it would have been perfect for your kid.

one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Check Ebay and Archerytalk.com classified for a Mathews Genisi bow. The are not draw length specific and low poundage - about 10-20# adjustable. They are perfect for starting out any youngster or even an adult to get form right without struggling with poundage or draw length issues. You can shoot it as a traditional bow or trick it out with a release and sights and all that. I have one that I use a lot with friends kids and have one that even uses it to tag along when I shoot 3D. It's a great bow. BT53

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking in the bargain finder this morning and there are a couple youth compounds (ug) one is 75 bucks. You might want to take a look.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
It's too bad you're stuck on the "dark side" with the compound Razzer I think that for a kid the simplicity of a recurve might be more fun, I'm obviously biased here though.

The simpler the better I would think. He's gotta be able to recognize it as a bow ;-)

As for being stuck on the dark side... I love the craftsmanship that goes into a good recurve, that alone would be a reason to get me one someday. However, I have to confess that the ease with which one (I) can get into shooting a compound with release is worth something. From the first attempts at the Calgary Archery Centre I've been shooting nice groups (OK, not always Wink), which immediately put the option of actually hunting with a bow on the horizon.

Before that, I'd never given hunting with a bow any thought.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went through the same situation with my two children (aged 8 and 10). I took them to the local bow shop and they shot recurves for about 3 hours and decided they loved the sport. I talked to several other parents in regard to what their children preferred and purchased two Browning Micro Midas packages. They were not cheap, but I was happy to know the kids could use these bows for several years for both hunting and target shooting.

Most of the "experts" suggested the Whisper Biscuit rests, as they are pretty fool proof, especially for excited, young children. They were absolutely correct.

The fact is, my kids absolutely love shooting their bows all the time. It gives me great pleasure as a father and a hunter to bask in their enthusiasm.

I agree, that the Mathews Genesis would also be an excellent choice.

Posts: 28 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote