THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Didn't have my bow, but an awful big 8...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Didn't have my bow, but an awful big 8...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The 6 top tines were at LEAST 6 inches long. The smallest two at the bottom were 4 inches...not saying much but the biggest i ever saw in person. Wasn't even hunting, was on way to check my traps. But would have been an easy shot. They weren't doin anything, but she acted like they were on dinner date, she just kept on eating the honeysuckel and me 35 yards away. The buck was fidgetig all around, and lookin my way but he wouldn't leave that doe. I watched about 10 min through the scope of my .22. Sure would like to get that one. Oh, another thing the buck was doing....It was rubbing its hind legs together those glands that are inside where their legs bend. What was that all all about?

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Plinker,

When they rut they rub those glands together quite a bit. They urinate on them and they get quite a strong smell. If another buck smells him in his territory during that time of year there's usually going to be a battle or a "tuck tail and run" scenario.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, as I was sitting in my treestand today I was thinking about the deer you saw. If you get the big boy I'll send you one of my hand carved plaques so you can do a European mount. There's no charge of course, I just thought it would give you something to think about while you're out hunting and increase the urge to target that guy. If you'd prefer to do a shoulder mount etc. then you can still have it to do with what you please. The only stipulation is we want to see some pics!!!

good luck

One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
Chef do you have any pics of your plaques? I'd love to see how you do them. I do a lot of simple heart and arrow shaped plaques and cover the skull with leather or velet. It's kinda a redneck way to do them and I was thinking about starting to do some Euro style. Thanks.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saw this, thank you for the offer calgrychef1. That'd be great. How about you show your confidence in me by sending the plaque now and then i'll try harder than ever! Just kidding, just kidding.... Rifle season comes in Monday..Hopefully it doesn't have to be with a bow.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll get back to you on that, I gotta go take some pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had to get my lovely wife to help me with the technical details.....here they are. I put a (small) bear skull on one to see what it would look like. By the way that's my very own brain tanned deer hide in the back ground. The stain looks pretty dark in the pics but it's a lot lighter in person. The hardest part about making the plaques isn't the carving but rather staining the basswood. It's a very open grained wood and you need to seal it first before staining. It takes me 4 coats of stain and clearcoat to get them done-a pain in the A$$

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/calgarychef/IMGP2299.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/calgarychef/IMGP2313.jpg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those look great; very professional. That WOULD take a lot of work to get basswood to take stain so well. They look perfect to me. With the European mount it provides good contrast. Good job on em!

Plinker

aim small, hit small