THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Life is a series of small victories...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life is a series of small victories...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted
...if you are lucky, or good!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ummmm, muskrat?

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Regular old sow groundhog.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make him black and about 6 or 7 times as long, and I'll be one happy shooter next week!

Congrats!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats, beer

I haven't taken one in several years. They're funny animals. Sometimes they hide at the slightest and sometimes they seem fearless.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
This old sow and I are old enemies. I have stalked her several times a year for three years, but she was always too alert. That green grass was just too sweet this time, and she didn't see me until just before the shot, when
she flattened to the ground trying to make up her mind what to do.

I'll be trying for bear with bow and rifle in BC in two weeks. Good luck to all of us, Frans.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Congrats- nice stalk on a wary critter..

what is a Texan doing in Yankeeland ??

(from a 7th generation Texan - long live the Republic!)

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Pining for the West...

Don_G

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Don. Congrats on winning the war with that old sow too. Smiler

I am curious...is that your "cape buff load" or another combo? Also, was the penetration limited by contact with the ground?

What bow/arrow "load" are you bringing for bear?

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Don. Anyone can "x" a heart shot on a deer....A ground hog" that's shooting!

Good luck on your Bear hunt.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

I used the 80# Allegiance that I hope to use in TZ, but I selected a 600 grain "deer" arrow/head since I did not want to ruin one of the 900 grain (300 grain head) Carbon Tech Safari arrows that I have set up for TZ - those Carbon Tech Safaris are only made once or twice a year, and so can be hard to replace. The penetration was (brutally) limited by the ground behind the critter, but the Steelforce broadhead and Redhead bufftuff (12 gpi) arrow are both straight and whole. The BH needs sharpening.

I'm bringing the 70# Mathews for the bear hunt, since my frigging back locked up after shooting the groundhog with the Allegiance!

I have been practicing with the 80#, but only after warming up with the 70# ever since my back tricked out a week ago.

I guess I neeed to go see our forum member DOC again, as he sure helped my back last time.

Boss,

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get!

Don_G