Find
Notify
Tools

First moose with a bow
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
I shot my first bow killed moose on the 14th.
It was a young bull with three points on one side and a fork on the other side. Where I hunt a legal bull has to have a spike or a fork on one antler or be 50inches in width or have three brow tines on one antler.
I had seen a small spike the night before and was set on shooting him. I walked through the area without seeing the spike, then on my way out I saw a moose that I am sure was the little guy but he winded me and ran off before I could be sure. I was about 15 yards from him but it wouldn't show its head.
Then I went down a trail that makes a loop and comes back to the same field to see if the moose would come back in a few minutes. When I started getting close to the field I was startled by a moose busting right by me at about twenty yards. It was a much bigger fork horn and he ran to about 35 yards and stopped broadside to me. I already had an arrow knocked to be ready for the spike. It all went by really fast as I drew and saw the arrow zip over to the moose. He busted through the trees and as I was standing there I heard him let out a couple deep breaths and I knew he was done.
He ran about 40 yards at most in a semi circle and stopped in the field where I had seen the spike earlier.
The arrow went right through both lungs and out the other side.
I am one happy camper. I better get back to work cutting him up.
Good luck on your hunting. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JB Florida>
posted
AWESOME!

Way to go and enjoy that fresh Moose!

John

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hey, way to gooooo!

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent

enjoy eating that delicious moose
RH

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Great going. What kind of broadhead did you use to get that good penetration. I haven't killed but one moose with a bow and used Magnus blades. I, too, had a shoot-through that came out of the body and then re-penetrated the leg and broke the femur. All that from a little 56# longbow at that. But I was shooting from a green and white lawn chair.... but that's another story.

Posts: 7541 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

judgeg , I was using cabelas 100 grain mini laser pro 3 blade head. My bow is a high country machined supreme and my arrows are graphite gold tip hunters.

I prefer muzzy broadheads but I only had a couple and my friend gave me the pack of cabelas heads. I was very happy to see the head stay together through the whole moose. It had even clipped a rib on the way in and out. I found one off the blades laying on the ground beyond where the moose was hit. Never did find my arrow though but I will probably go back and look for it again.

I am impressed with your results from the longbow and the magnus head. I am wanting to get the same set up for bowhunting one of these days.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Congrats RMiller!

Enjoy the steaks. There is no finer eating.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff RM!!
What a boyke!
Sorry about the retarded response (African time zone [Big Grin] ), but I cannot resist adding my congrats to the list.
If I were in your position, I would have been buck fevering out of my boots, for sure.
Lochi.

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RMiller,

Congrats to you from here in Dillingham. I have hunted with bowhunters before and can appreciate what you just did. Good for you! I have a bull I shot 2 days ago hanging in my garage but I used a rifle.

Good hunting

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote