The Accurate Reloading Forums
Re: What's your favorite broadhead and why?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1021043/m/2601074

11 September 2004, 15:02
bfrshooter
Re: What's your favorite broadhead and why?
I used to use the Muzzy 130 gr. and they killed very good. BUT, I eventually broke all of them in the ground after going through deer with my 82# bows. I tried the Titans and the points would roll up like sardine cans. NAP heads hold up great. Cabella's heads hold up. I only buy tough heads that don't break in the ground so I can change or resharpen the blades and use them again. I can't see buying heads that are only good for one deer. Snuffers have served me well for years and will cut through all the bones in an animal. I have only ruined a few of them. Lots of tough heads on the market now but the prices are amazing. Any head can be shot accurately. I have as many as four different makes in my quiver with no difference in point of impact.
11 September 2004, 15:06
bfrshooter
Reloader, if fixed blades don't fly well with a "well tuned bow" the bow is NOT tuned.
11 September 2004, 15:47
bfrshooter
Mark, the reason the expandable was stuck in the neck is that they take HEAVY ARROWS AND POWER TO PENETRATE. I don't care how fast you shoot a toothpick, it takes weight to penetrate. I watched another hunt on the Outdoor channel last night and the guy made a perfect heart shot and the arrow was sticking out 3/4's of its length. He strained his guts to pull the bow too. What's that all about? The slightest bone hit would have stopped it right now! What the hell is wrong with guys that think a toothpick at 300 fps is better then a real heavy arrow at 200 fps? 85 and 100 gr heads? What next? 25 grs? Not many real hunters any more, just 3D shooters!
Now a 650 gr 2419 at 300 fps and you would really have a killer. I think more deer are lost with light arrows today then ever. But nobody admits the lost ones, only the recovered ones. Guys seem amazed when they get an arrow all the way through a deer today but I shot through EVERY deer with a 62# recurve and 2219 shafts, 6 to 10" of ground on the other side too. My heavy arrows from my heavy compounds go through so fast, I don't know exactly where it hit until I get to the deer. And, yes, Muzzy's break in the ground but not in the deer.
I think it is time to respect the animals and back away from speed to shoot a heavy arrow. Range finders eliminate the range estimation so why does anyone need super fast arrows to compensate for bad distance judging? Do they think they can beat the deer's reflexes? I have news for you guys, until the arrow surpasses the speed of sound, you are out of luck! YOU ARE ALL GOING THE WRONG DIRECTION! If deer were not so plentiful the states would not allow light arrows.
Some of you GOOD hunters, chime in here to straighten these target shooters out. No, I will not apologize for speaking the truth. After way over 220 deer kills, I KNOW what works.
12 September 2004, 11:46
bfrshooter
Aspen, 240 fps is great. But you did not say what arrow you use and it's weight! Chances are that your arrow is correct because the velocity you are getting falls in line with the proper arrow.
I can kill deer all day with a 35# bow and the light arrows it takes. But every single shot has to be at close range and perfect. No bones, no quartering shots, no twigs in the way, no deer movement at the shot. If you think every shot at every deer is perfect, more power to you.
Using a light arrow is like using a .22 or .22 magnum to hunt deer. I don't think any archer would choose these guns to hunt big game. Most would carry a .300 or 7mm magnum. Yet they will shoot the lightest arrows made to gain speed, which means nothing when it comes to penetration. Would any of you use a 90 gr bullet in the .300 for big game? I don't think so! Then why use a light arrow?
12 September 2004, 05:38
Aspen Hill Adventures
I believe my Parker is only taking my arrows to 240 FPS. Sure is effective, I can show a resume of many successful hunts!
16 September 2004, 16:37
Fish30114
I've shot the Innerlocs (100 gr) and the are really durable and fly great. Have had excellent results on over a dozen whitetails from 80 lb. does to a 160 lb. buck. (field dressed weights). I had used Thunderheads (both 125 & 100 grain) forever before and still some, the little o-ring never bothered me and I was always able to get them to true up. NAP developed the razorback 5 blade rotating cartridge in the Lockhead Air Tunnel in Marietta GA in the late '70s early '80's and have had a reputation for excellent quality durable products since their (NAP's) inception. Good luck and have a great season. New blades before any shot at a game animal is a great thoery, not overly 'anal'
09 September 2004, 07:30
Reloader
I have killed whitetails w/ expandables and fixed blade heads. The expandables have put game down alot quicker for me due to their larger cutting diameter.

I like the Game Tracker Silver Tip 100s and the First Cut 100s also.

I have had alot of problems w/ Fixed blade heads not flying true. The Expandables seem to always fly like field tips to me. Even w/ well tuned arrows and bows fixed blades are finicky sometimes.

Some people say Expandables dont penetrate well but, that is not a problem on Whitetails Especially w/ todays speedy setups. They may not be the ticket for elk but, they work on the smaller Big Game.

Good Luck!

Reloader
09 September 2004, 15:23
Lion
A two-blade traditional type; nothing is unscrewing on me and nothing is not folding out or falling off that shouldnt. I shoot a recurve so mind you that but also used them when I had a Mathews MQ-32 and could get groups of 2inches at 40yards with 4 arrow; maybe not every group but 4 out of 5 .

A brand....Magnus, Bear,......alot of good ones as long as it weights 125 grains!!!

To each his own though on this one,
Justin
10 September 2004, 06:20
ScottinPa
I've shot mostly Thunderhead 125s with the compound. This year I'm shooting Wensel Woodsman with a long glue in adapter. Total weight is 175gr. 3-blade,3" long with a 1" cutting diameter. Since going traditional I've found that my broadheads don't plane (they also don't fly as fast ).