THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    I Scored twice yesterday...... (Picture added)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Scored twice yesterday...... (Picture added)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I had a pretty good opening weekend. The season opened on friday so, a good friend and I set out for the woods that evening.

Friday evening I had two yearling doe come out and graze around for about 2 hours but, I knew there were some good bucks in the area so, I let the fine table-fare walk waiting for a Buck. At 6:15 I heard some crashing in the distance, turned out to be my friend arrowing a small buck. I sat until dark but, didn't see anymore deer. When I got off the stand I went and met up w/ my buddy to get his Huntin' story. He said that he shot at a real nice 120 class 8pt but, the buck jumped string and he made a clean miss. He did however have a small buck come in as well and that was the crashing I had heard at 6:15. He said he hit the buck right behind the shoulder but, the arrow only went 1/2 way into the deer (My guess was the arrow struck the off-side shoulder blade). W/ no exit wound, there was absolutely no blood but, from the comotion I heard after his shot, it sure sounded like the deer had gone down. We searched for two hours and could not find anything (the brush was thick and visability was limited). I hate losing one but, it happens to the best of us.

Anyway, the exciting day of the weekend was yesterday. I arrived to my stand alittle later than I would have liked but, I still managed to get set up before day broke. when daylight came there were squirrels playing everywhere and making all kinds of racket in the dry leaves. At about 7:30 I heard something behind me (I thought it was more squirrels) when I turned to look, there was a nice Buck rubbing a tree about 50 yards away in the brush. I waited for him to lower his head and I stood up into a "ready" position. The buck made his way towards my tree and stopped at 15 yards on the trail that I had entered on. There was brush in the way but, he started getting spooky so, it was make-or-break time. I drew my bow and I had a small opening that I could easily see all of his vitals through. I let the arrow fly and watched it disappear behind his shoulder. After the shot he ran about 80 yards before expiring. The arrow had hit high behind the shoulder, went through the lungs, and clipped the top of the heart (it was a textbook shot, I guess I got lucky). The buck was sporting an nice 8pt rack, he wasn't a bruiser but, he was a darn fine archery kill(about a 100-110 class 8pt). My heart was pounding hard after all of that excitement, I love every minute of it. I had him cleaned, on ice, and I was sitting in the Church House at 10:30 w/ my wife.

Here in Louisiana we can legally harvest 1 buck and one doe per day so, I decided to go and sit in the same setup in hope that one of the small doe I had seen friday would reappear. I was right, at about 6:30 pm the 2 doe came walking by and I picked the closest one & made a clean shot right behind the shoulder.

Two deer off the same stand on the same day, man, what more could you ask for.

Here is a picture of the Buck I took:

Good Luck to All!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow! Well your seeing and killing a lot more than me! I have not seen any deer yet.

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Reloader!
I can't wait to see the pictures!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
WELL DONE - CONGRATS !!