THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    best Broadhead and knife sharpener

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best Broadhead and knife sharpener
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
Do you use one or buy replacement blades. Which is the best for quick field or home use. I was looking at the Klawhorn at Cabelas which has good reviews. Whats your favorite?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy replacement blades or new heads to replace those I shoot if I'm using fixed blade heads. It is a very individual thing, but I'm not good enough with a sharpener to get consistently great edges on my broadheads, & even at today's prices, the expense is not that great to replace the 2 or 3 heads I shoot at game each year from my stock of "big game arrows" (the batch with the best acuracy & consistency)

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should look at KME sharpeners. I don't have one YET but I like what I see and hear about them.

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a KME last week! I can't wait for it to get here.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I use a Warthog Multi Edge for my knifes and my broad head blades...

http://warthogsharp.com/?page_id=261

With the diamond stone I can get any knife blade shaving sharp in less than 5 minutes...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I resharpen with a small diamond stone from walmart. hilbily

Often while in the stand I go thru the quiver touching em up to pass time.

When I loan someone the use of my knife, there's over a 50% chance they will give it back bleeding.

"That thing's dangerous." Eeker

Big Grin

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I shoot all flavors of the Slick Tricks, as well as some Hellrazors. For the Slick Tricks I use an old Lansky type sharpener which will put a scaple type edge on the blades quickly. I can do a complete set from dull to hunt ready, in about 10 minutes.

The fixed three blade type are a bit more involved, depending on how dull they are. If they are target dull or have hit bone and or dirt, they get the flat file, then various courses on a stone. If simply needing touching up I use the Lansky fine diamond stone with a few passes on each side and they are ready to go.

My hunting bud gave me one of the KME sets for Christmas, but I have yet to pull it out and use it. Since it was the end of the season I had enough already done up to hold me over. I have seen how quick he does his though and it seems to be a great set up.

One tip you might use for your KME,

Take some of the plastic divider tabs which are used in ringed binders, (you can get just the tabs to be put on individually.)

Slide your blade into the tab sharp side in, and measure how much needs to extend out of the holder to get the angle you want. Cut off the extra part of the tab so you now have a guide to set your angle with. When you sharpen your blades simply slip the pastic on, slide it in the holder until it butts up, then snug the holder down remove the tab and go to work. This ensures you have the same amount of blade sticking out each and every time.

Hope that makes sense, it sure speeds up things when working on multiple type blades.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Lansky system for 25+ tears. It works extremely well for knives, especially those with about a six blade ot shorter.
And it will sharpen two blade fixed broad heads and replacement blades from non fixed heads, if they are a flat blade, as opposed to having a bend in them.
I currently shoot Muzzy MX4 broad heads and sharpen all of them even the new ones before hunting with them.
I use the traditional oil stones, a medium, then fine then extra fine, when sharpening replaceable blade broad heads. With knives aI start with a coarse stone.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote