Find
Notify
Tools

increasing draw weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted
i was in the pro shop this weekend for new string leeches, and decided to put my mathews outback on the scale. 64 lbs... it was all i could do to crank up the limb bolts 3/4 turn when i got home, and the string is brand new winners choice from a couple months ago. and its a 30" 70 lb bow.

the guy at the archery shop suggested disconnecting the short cable where the ends split, and twisting them to shorten that cable, and that would increase my draw weight.

is this safe? is this correct? and will it change my nock point? i don't think it will, but this is something i've never done.

i know that 64lbs is plenty for the deer that i shoot at, not the point, i want more speed and i am plenty strong enough to pull the extra weight.

thanks guys for any help.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing with my X Force and new winners choice strings and cables. Wayne at Big Game Archery twisted the cables and I was able to reach the full 70 lb rating of my bow. Get your archery shop to do it because it will change things a bit. It doesn't take long to sort out. They will have to make sure your timing is on as well as your nock point.
Take care and good luck,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
cool,
thanks dave.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote