New
Find
Notify
Tools

Agincourt!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't know whether any of you guys read novels, but I just started reading one with the above title, by Bernard Cornwell. Excellent read with lots about archery back then. Cornwell has written a boatload of novels, some set in the time of King Alfred (the Great), some in Arthurian times, Wellington etc. etc.
Just FWIW, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is one of my favorite. I've read most everything he's written.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a (British) history freak but don't normally read novels, so I only recently found out about this guy. I picked up Agincourt yesterday and am half way through it already! I have trouble putting it down! It is a great read.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His grail series is about an English archer during the hundred years war and goes into the English long bow quite extensively. Cromwell does his research and writes great historical fiction. If you like archery and are an anglophile you will love his grail series.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently part way through "Excalibur" as well, but I put it down as Agincourt was more exciting.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another great read is "The Longbow" by Robert Hardy.Loaded with history/accounts of the longbow in battle- Agincout,etc and much more.Some might know him from the "All Creatures Great and Small" TV series.He played Siegfried Cool.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Agincourt in Audio book format..

Plugging the IPod in and kicking back, listening to this tale of English history unfold is bloody brilliant.

This is really a great story, the history of the bow is fascinating - the Brits really dished it out to the French in this battle.

..--..

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bernie, Cornwell refers to Hardy's book but I could not find it in the local library. Is it worth buying?
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!Well if you're as big a fan of the longbow as I am anyway.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anybody read the follow up book to agincourt? I can't remember the name but i saw it at the bookstore the other day.

Also a good read is his Richard Sharpe series. It's about an English rifleman in the Napoleonic wars.

Posts: 33 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DEW, I think that his latest book is "The Burning Land" which is the latest in his series dealing with King Alfred (the Great). He was interviewed not long ago on NPR.
Just FWIW, Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great books. I've read all of the Holy Grail series, Sharpe books, and the viking books. Bernard Cornwell is one of my favorite authors.

Robert

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I definitely see no reason to buy this book.

The real name of the place is aZincourt.

Moreover, Agincourt doesn't ring right in french, Agin and Vagin(a) have similar pronounciation.

good luck tu2

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JB, Cornwell does point out that the French call the scene of one of their major defeats, AZincourt. He missed the anatomical references however!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have been told that the French words for the rabbit and penis are likewise very similar. anyway, Cornwell's books sound like great reads. my favorite genre has always been historical novels and these suggestions give me a new direction. thanks.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out any of his series, you won't be disappointed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jdollar, go to any library and you will find probably 2 dozen of his books. As I mentioned in my post above, he has several different series, and within each series there is an order to the books. While each book is self contained, it would probably be more enjoyable to read them in (historical) order.
Peter

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
no discussion, Azincourt was clearly a french defeat. In fact the archers weren't popular in France and little developped or used.
May be I am wrong but I learnt that the French were mostly using crossbows that are shooting too slowly compared to the English bows?????

You're right about rabbit= lapin la pine= the dick.
I'll have a look at this book. Archery knows no boundariesz.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At Crecy, the French employed Genoese crossbowmen as mercenaries, but still lost. (Later, in England, the crossbow became more popular). The French looked down on the archers as not being chivalrous. At Agincourt, the French did have crossbowmen, but not in the numbers that the English had, and they were not deployed effectively.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last night on PBS TV they showed a movie "Sharpe's Challenge" that was after Waterloo but set in India! Excellent movie with a less than glamorous take on the British Army, as well as it's treatment of the Sepoys. Thanks for the tip (whoever recommended the Richard Sharpe series)!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BBC ran a TV series based on the sharp novels that was fairly good it stared Sean Bean as Richard Sharp.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wetdog, a friend of mine recently visited from England (IOM actually) and he told me about the series. I suspect that this may have been one of them. I will have to see if they are available on DVD. I have not read any of the Sharp series but he encouraged me to read them.
Thanks, Peter.