New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noise problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, all of you that know about noise, I had a problem. It started last season and reared it's ugly head on the two deer I tried to draw on this season. I lucked out last year and managed to shoot the deer after they bolted.
What happens is as soon as I apply a little pressure to my string, the deer bolt even when walking the other way at 25 yd's. I am not even trying to draw yet, just getting some pressure going in preparation to draw. I have been blaming everything and changed to the softest clothes I have, changed stands and even switched to another bow. I lubed the bow and replaced the mole skin on the rest.
I had the wife with super sharp hearing stand from 10 yd's to 2 feet in a Quiet room and listen. There is zero noise of any kind audable to human hearing.
Only mature deer are bolting, it has no effect on young of the year! I can shoot all of those I want to.
I think I solved the problem but will not know until I get another chance.
Now put your thinking caps on and explain to me what it is.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about the sound, deer can see the slightest movement. Maybe that's why you're getting busted.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
NO, I know when to move with over 225 bow kills. These deer could NOT see me. All of my moves are slow motion even when deer are looking the other way.
This is a noise problem so you have to do better.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if its so quiet your wife cant hear it from 2 feet its not a noise problem something could have spooked the deer at the time of your draw .......scent is another problem causing the deer to be very jumpy......

deer have good hearing but there not friggin super natural.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I've had deer bolt when my old arthritic joints popped, but even I could hear those.

Have you been using Silicone-based string wax as recommended by all manufacturers?

The other possibility is lubing the bearings in the cams/wheels?

How about the arrow squeaking on the rest?

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
The only thing I could think of was the arrow making a rubbing noise on the moleskin of the rest (mine makes a bit of noise that way), but it sounds like he doesn't get that far with his draw (ie. nothing is actually moving yet).

It could definitely be something to do with the string being improperly lubed and making an inaudible (to us) noise as you start to tension it.

Or maybe there is a flatulence issue at play, and the start of the exertion of pulling on the string is enough to force out a little squeaker? Wink

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of those are right yet. I tried it this evening on a spike buck at 15 yd's. I made it to full draw without spooking him. I didn't want to shoot him. He had a big body though.
I am sure I solved the problem and have to try it an a large doe next because that is what I want to shoot. I will keep you posted.
But keep trying to answer the puzzle! If it actually is what I fixed, none of you will ever believe it. And some think deer have poor hearing!

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
I swear some deer can read your mind. I've been watching does feed under my stand... 10 yards away - tops... and they are all fine until I make the mental choice to shoot one. Seems like that one will always get skittish right at the moment I decide to shoot her.

Now I try to think happy thoughts as I WHACK 'em. clap

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a problem with my grip when I applied pressure till I got let off there was a "creak" Tightened grip "creak" went away

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain, not yet!

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
How about velcro ripping loose on your wrist strap?

I always take a few practice draws to "seat" my strap.

Or are you grunting or letting your breath make some noise as you set yourself?

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about velcro ripping loose on your wrist strap?

I always take a few practice draws to "seat" my strap.

Good one!

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My man, Don, hit it right on the money! But it was a little different then you think. It was the portion of the strap that has hooks, not the part that has the hooks on the loops. Where the strap bends around after going through the buckle, there is a section that has hooks against hooks and they vibrate against each other when flexed. It can only be heard from about 6". My take is that they are like tuning forks and are making a high frequency sound I can't hear but deer go nuts instantly. I cured the noise by taking some loop velcro strap and stuck it to the hooks. No more noise!
Now I get a lot of static about high frequencies but I have proven it time and time again that deer jump it right now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something to consider..thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
glad it weren't the beans n franks. Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to tell you a story about chili with beans. The wife made a big pot of it and I pigged out of course. Next morning I got in the stand. My stomach was rumbling and I fought the urge as pressure built up. Five doe walked by at around 30 yd's but it was real thick so I watched them. They got just off to my left and laid down. One would feed and lay down, then another got up and so on for an hour. I couldn't take it anymore and just had to get out of the stand. The gas was terrible so while watching the deer I started to release it in huge, loud bursts. Well, guys, not one of them even looked my way! It had zero effect on them. (Wind was right anyway.) They were there another half hour and eventually just fed over the hill.
I no longer worry about it but I stay away from chili when I have to hunt. It is just too uncomfortable.