THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: Need recurve suggestion

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need recurve suggestion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

For the instant, I dare not shoot any game with the recurve, I am more confident with a sight.

Codbore, first have a try with a borrowed recurve.

jbderunz-

Thanks for the tips. However, I'm comfortable shooting a recurve, and still shoot my compound "barebow" (no sights). Yep, kinda stuck in the stone age when I look at the stuff guys are using now, but to me it's going in the wrong direction, so I want to "simplify" a bit. I used sights on my target bow for years, and tried them for a few years on my hunting bow, but in the end, I realized I was more comfortable (and actually shot as good, at unknown ranges/in the field) shooting instinctive.

I have a few recurves here, including a very nice Kodiak take-down signed personally (addressed to me by name) by Fred Bear about 20-25 years ago. (It will never be sold, and shot very little, although it has gone to the field a few times...)

But I haven't shot any of them with any seriousness lately, and was considering possibly picking up a new bow to "restart" myself.

Do you have any trouble/conflict switching back & forth between your compound & recurve? That's one reason I'm thinking of hanging up my compound & shooting strictly recurve now.

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
ColdBore-

I'm shooting four bows at this time. I shoot everyday and swap around all the time between the four.

Two recurves- a metal Bear'B'riser with 35# target limbs that I use to teach with- 31"1816-X7s.
And the 55# Partners(Palmer) in the above pic with either 33"2018-XX75s or 33"2117-XX78s.

I'm also shooting two QuadraFlex (early 80s models) compounds.
My freestlye target bow is 48/28#@31" with 2014-X7s.
And the QuadraFlex hunting compound is 55/33#@32"
And I shoot the same 2018s or 2117s out of it as I do the Partners.

And after 48years in archery I still don't own a release

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

And after 48years in archery I still don't own a release

Yep, still shooting fingers (tab) here too.