New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice Please?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Old guy (77) wanting to shoot a bow again using a recurve for target/exercise only. Brand(s), draw length and pound draw? Where to buy / new-used? Appreciate insight/advice.

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at a Samick Sage , new is around $120.00

62" and around 38-40 pound pull.

Bought one for my grandson and am impressed with it.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your 77 then your going to want let off which recurved don't have.

Look at a 55# Expedition or Obsession.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"your going to want let off"

Find an older 30-45# target bow 62" or longer and enjoy yourself. Ebay is full of them, spine your arrows to match. Cedar is OK, that's what is all about.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Hunted with a compound a few years back and while it was good and accurate, it's not what I want to play with. Will try other suggestions. Update later. Thanks again. Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, good luck on your return to recurve shooting. I just recently returned to a recurve myself, a 43lb draw take down, that a friend built for me. It's taken me a while to get my accuracy back but shooting it sure is enjoyable.

Have fun!!

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike, didn't realize you wanted recurve.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one here can tell you what works for you. Go to a pro shop, shoot some bows, new or used and you can make an informed decision.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our archery club uses 15lb to 25lb draw weight bows for the classes we hold for the county. They still cast an arrow. 30-40lbs isn't too hard to get used to, though. Samick makes good, inexpensive bows. The Samick Sage, or the slightly longer (for less stacking and finger pinch if you have a long draw length) Samick Journey are good bets. Lancaster Archery carries the stuff you would want, they're knowledgeable, and their prices are good. Ideally you could visit them, but they're still smart over the phone. I have no affiliation with them.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote