Find
Notify
Tools

Making feather fleches
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I have a whole bag of eastern wild turkey wing feathers. Does anyone know what ones to use and how to cut them to make fletchings for my recurve? Perhaps a site showing how it's done.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been years but I can remember some of it. You have to split the quill. You only use the large side of each feather and don't mix wings with a batch of arrows. Fletch one batch with left wing and another batch with the right wing feathers. To tell the truth, I never found a difference between how each wing feather shot but I just never shot them together. The thing to be careful of is to get all one wing side on one arrow so you can follow the natural curve of the feather. You will need two jigs, one left and one right unless you put them on by hand.
Some have been able to use the other feather half but it is softer and works for flu flu arrows better.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot--you can put the feather in a clamp after you get it cut to size and use sandpaper on a block to even out the base.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote