New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Archery Newbie
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Penny, I just got back into Archery myself after about 25 years off. Shoulder injuries made it impossible to pull one. Yesterday I aquired a used Mathews Featherlight and transfered all of my parts from my sisters old HoytMate to the Mathews. I too have been enjoying the informal practice in the back yard and now have 2 good friends that have joined in on the fun.
Last spring I went to a couple of 3D shoots about 5 hours drive from here and sort of got rebit by the bug at that time.
It is some fun, isn't it. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's good news, BRF, hope it works out same for me. I've had a lot of physical jobs, too. For one, i worked as a welder at Grove Mfg Co in Shady Grove, PA? You might have heard of it, not too far from Harper's Ferry.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It has turned out that I actually have a Feather Max which was a much more popular bow and a better grade.

Sounds like a good bow, Derf. Several people at the indoor range are partial to Matthews bows.

The white nailhead idea sounds ideal for being able to mow over the markers. I used lengths of rebar, but bent and welded so as to be able to have place to hang the bow. Can't mow around but i use Round up around mowing obstacles, anyway.

Never heard of beaverboard. Someone was saying that old rubber conveyor belts make good backboard stops. Sometimes you can find it laying around at the gravel yard.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
The guy at the range was correct that you should not shoot at the same target at less than..... 30 yards for me. I paid $140 for my last dozen arrows(including shipping) and to have to re-fletch after only 3-4 months is costly. It is also costly when you Robin Hood a carbon as I have ruined three that I bought in March/April.

Never ever shoot a broadhead at the same target unless you like watching vanes fall like leaves. If you practice with broadheads, number each arrow and number 6 targets and shoot the same arrow at each. It really helps sort out the bad arrows and heads.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grove made and probably still makes, mobile hydraulic cranes with extendable booms. I used to mig weld various parts such as skylights and doors, mostly sheet metal parts.

"Some days I just quit and load ammo or shoot my bows."

If you waited till you had time, you probably never would.

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave: I was shooting broadheads the other day at 20 yds. I was shooting at different bulls on the same target, but for some reason I shot at the same bull twice. I shot a 3 blade head first, and a Steelforce second. The Steelforce actually cut one of the blades off the other broadhead. You're supposed to be able to pull arrows out of Morell targets with 2 fingers. Not when you impact one broadhead on another one. I had to stand on the target and could still barely pull them out.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good move, Derf! It sure is fun Who knows, by easing into it the bow work might actually be beneficial to your shoulder. I'm ditching my goal of 45# and just enjoying shooting for now.

Setting up a target range has also been fun. I got one of the 3' x 3' Morrel Outdoor Range targets and put two posts in the ground and supported it on a wooden beam at the bottom. Had to dig two 3' holes and mix up some cement and that target is solid. Will have to post picture of it. Got a big old broadhead buck, too. But, it's so hard to pull the arrows out of the buck, he don't see much action.

Hope you get along good with you're Matthews featherweight.
Keep us posted!

Plinker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I find doing push-ups helps. Just like any exercise, good form works better than just numbers and weight. If you can't do many regular push-ups then drop your knees and do cheaters while maintaining good upper body form.

Okay, ScottinPa, i can do 10. Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I'll try it using BOTH arms

Plinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has turned out that I actually have a Feather Max which was a much more popular bow and a better grade.
Just a suggestion, I have measured out a range in my backyard and marked the ranges with 12 inch nails with the heads painted white and washers painted blaze orange. With these set right down to the ground it doesn't interfere with the lawn mowing and I have semi-permanent markers at 15,20 and 25 yards. I am also using a Block and have a 4ftX4ft backboard made of Beaverboard(Donacona). Oh, I also have 2 friends shooting here and one of them dropped off a deer target. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote