THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: What's your favorite broadhead and why?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's your favorite broadhead and why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I like Thunderhead 85's on whitetails and other thin skinned game. They shoot with my field points time after time. I keep replacement blades and I change after each shot.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NAP Razorback 5 (140 gr)
This is a very old head, been around along time, 30 years I would guess. I like them because you screw them on and they shoot well from most bows without any adjustments. They fly like a dart to the mark. I can travel to my hunting spot (maybe oversees) with the heads off the arrows and when I get there assemble and shoot to kill. They kill very well too.

I have also always liked the Muzzy 125 4 blades
Durable, shoot straight and put a very large hole in the animal.

Recently, I have witnessed another good head called the Magnus. A guy I shoot BH with shootts these and they fly really nice, very accurate and I can see they will do a good job killing just the way they are built. Also, he said you can return then for Free sharpening. I want to get some to try out this year.

Most hunters around here shoot the NAP Thunderheards 125 gr.; I have won some at shoots and shoot them rather well, they are durable, usually shoot straight, and do a good job killing, but I just don't hunt with them very often; Maybe it's the rubber ring or that everyone else is shooting them, so I have to be different.

Posts: 45 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I went from Muzzy's to the Steelforce. I noticed a significant improvement in consistancy with that change. I liked the Muzzy's for their practice blades but I have had much better results using the Steelforce.

I cannot explain why one is better than the other. They are configured quite differently.

I have a bunch of Muzzy 100 grain equip if I'd like to sell!

What exactly do you have, and how much do you want for it? I will put in my quiver whatever is consistent! I'll likely buy whatever you have.

I shoot the following broadheads currently, all are 100gr:

MUZZY 3 AND 4 BLADE

THUNDERHEAD 3 BLADE

ROCKET (MINIBLASTER I THINK)

VORTEX 2 BLADE EXPANDABLE

What I've noticed is a huge increase in price over the last few years on broadheads and if you have had success with something, why change. I've killed over 100 whitetails with a Muzzy and half that with the thunderhead. I've shot through bone too. Never had a problem with a Muzzy. But I did lose a buck that I shot with a thunderhead in the early 90's. It happens and I hate to admit it.

I'll buy a pack of several brands, put them all together, and start shooting. At any given time you can look in my quiver and find up to 5 different heads but all shoot dead on. I don't give a hoot if it looks odd, but when you can bullseye a quarter size dot at 25 yards consistently with a certain arrow and broadhead, then that is what should be in your quiver.

One last point that I've noticed is worth mentioning. Every deer I shot with the Muzzy 100 4 blade that I bought at Wal Mart put deer down the fastest. It may be a coincidence but maybe not. The Ohio buck you see in the beginning of the thread in the trophy section (I posted recently) went down after sprinting 20 yards. He just ran out of juice and tumbled. Same with about 5 or 6 does.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
DOc,

My Muzzy stuff is all 100 grain three blade. I've got practice blades, sharps and plenty of tips. I would have to inventory it all to see how much I have. Most of my sharps are unused.

I will get with you once I have some data.

Posts: 19124 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I used Satelite Titans for a few years and had great luck with Whitetails, Hogs, Black Bear, Exotics but......... When I returned from Africa, NO MORE Titans for me. The just did not hang together with the larger plains game like Kudu and Wildebeest.
I switched to Steel Force 100's and took a nice WT buck this year, but I have seen, and heard, some points bending.
I will be using the G5, three bladed this year. I like a cut on impact type head. I used Mussy 4 blades and had good luck and my son still uses them.
I think the main thing is SHOT PLACEMENT and a SHARP BLADE, so, pick one that flies well and keep it sharp.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by bo-n-aro

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happens all the time! If you click on the edit button, there's a button to Delete the post....

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot slicktrick 100g heads. They fly exactly like my field tips and leave great big holes in what you shoot. I took a 30" Mule Deer with one a couple weeks ago. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll post one in the trophy room. Next season, I may try the slick trick 85s which are a 4 blade 1" head just to try something a little different.

Posts: 24 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote