Find
Notify
Tools

Crossbow Myths and Facts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
CROSSBOWS: MYTH & FACTS

As hunters who pay hunting license fees and game managers whose programs come from those licenses, we are blessed by the ability of the whitetail deer to adjust to the continued encroachment on its habitat by man and still multiply. If it I were not for the far sighted sportsmen who preceded us and insisted upon scientific management practices, most modern deer hunting today would be very costly and conducted on preserves, behind high-fences.

However, this magnificent animal’s ability to multiply, coupled with conservative management practices, have resulted in whitetail populations at an all-time high. In some areas deer populations are so high that property damage as well as safety and health concerns have arisen. The game manager’s job today is rapidly becoming more sociological than biological. Heaped in the middle comes the issue of creating a new opportunity with a new and misunderstood hunting tool – the crossbow.

MYTH: Crossbows are a poacher’s tool.

FACT: Crossbows, like vertical bows, have short range capabilities, are too cumbersome to discharge from a vehicle, and kill by hemorrhage, not shock. Where legal, violations are minimal. If crossbows were efficient poaching tools their use would be wide-spread by game thieves. The poachers weapon of choice is still the .22 caliber rifle.

MYTH: Crossbows are unsafe.

FACT: Based on thirty years of statistical data, accident rates involving crossbows are identical to those of vertical bows. Both, considering hunting hours involved and numbers of hunters, are considered among the safest forms of hunting.

MYTH: Crossbows are too easy to shoot.

FACT: Experienced rifle shooters can expect to quickly achieve tight arrow groups on targets up to forty yards (the effective hunting range of a crossbow). Is that bad? Isn’t accurate shot placement the goal of all ethical hunting? Does the difficulty of shooting a bow accurately deter people from participating in bowhunting? However, to be successful, a crossbow hunter must master all skills and tactics common to bowhunting.

MYTH: Crossbow hunting will squeeze other hunters out.

FACT: In states where lengthy crossbow seasons, crossbow hunting is popular. However, no other season or bag limit has ever been reduced as a result of crossbow hunting being permitted. Where permitted, the crossbow does not discriminate in favor of the physically strong. It enables a wider range of sportsmen (women, professionals, youth, and older hunters) to enjoy the challenges of bowhunting.

MYTH: Crossbow hunting will wipe out the deer herd

FACT: In states with generous crossbow seasons, the success rate of crossbow hunters and vertical bow hunters are virtually the same and the deer populations continue to flourish.

MYTH: A crossbow is much more efficient than a vertical bow.

FACT: A modern 150# draw weight compound crossbow delivers the same speed and stored energy as a 65-70 pound compound vertical bow. The crossbow requires twice the amount of draw weight because the power stroke (draw length) is half as long as that of the compound bow. If both types of bows launch the same weight arrow at the same speed, how can a crossbow be more efficient and does the deer really care?

MYTH: The crossbow controversy creates division amongst sportsmen, and the public image of crossbows makes proposed hunting with them counter to the sportsmen’s interests.

FACT: Where permitted, crossbow hunting creates NO controversy except that created by a few individuals who deem themselves and their chosen method of hunting as superior to all others. The public image of crossbows stems from the lack of knowledge of a crossbow’s limited capabilities, as well as the myths touted by those who oppose their use. The TRUE controversy and tragedy of the crossbow issue stems from the time, effort and money spent by so called conservation-minded bowhunting organizations to deny others the opportunity to hunt rather than promoting the virtues of bowhunting to the public.

MYTH: There is an independent study which dramatically shows the superior capability of the crossbow (and its development) over the vertical bow.

FACT: This study is about as independent as a study on the need for sport hunting by P.E.T.A.. The study was commissioned by the Anti-Crossbow Committee of a national bowhunting group. Its author is a member of that group. Much of the hypothetical development of hunting crossbows and the limiting physical factors which prevent such development in vertical bows within the study have already been proven erroneous. It is the purpose of the game regulations by the state to control what advances in technology are suitable for sporting use. No state permits the use of machine guns and handheld rockets during deer rifle season!

MYTH: Because it is not hand-drawn and released, the crossbow is more closely compared to a firearm than a vertical bow.

FACT: Opponents to the crossbow often quote an apples and oranges comparison when voicing this smokescreen. The vertical archer, if they are a sportsman/bowhunter, prior to ever going into the field hunting spends hours and hours working on the physical conditioning required by drawing, aiming and shooting their chosen tool – nothing mystical, just physical work. Once the season starts, the act of drawing, aiming and shooting (especially with high let-off compounds utilizing a triggered release aid) is no more difficult for a vertical bowhunter than a crossbow hunter. Movement is required by both (one to draw back the other to raise the crossbow into a shooting position) to obtain the target at an average of less than twenty yards. Both hunters must be accomplished woodsmen to get that close to a whitetail and still mask those necessary movements.

MYTH: Nobody wants crossbow hunting except the crossbow manufacturers.

FACT: In Ohio, crossbow hunting has been permitted for thirty years and the Ohio Division of Wildlife endorses crossbow hunting and the opportunity it creates enthusiastically. Currently there are more hunters participating in the archery season using a crossbow that are using a hand-held bow. These licensed, legal, law-abiding sportsmen in Ohio are commonly the target of slanderous, erroneous and often untruthful attacks from bowhunting groups opposed to crossbow hunting. Many Ohio crossbow hunters also enjoy shooting with vertical archery tackle.

MYTH: Just because crossbow hunting has been a success story in many states like Ohio, Arkansas and Wyoming we don’t want it in ours. All the bowhunters of “our†state and all of “our†enforcement officers are opposed to it.

FACT: The crossbow is a challenging but effective short-range, single-shot hunting tool which offers additional hunting opportunity and recruitment to hunting ranks. If such an option in not considered advantageous by the sportsmen and game management agencies within the state, then the huntable wildlife resources of that state are not being managed to maximize opportunity for MOST citizens. The sportsmen’s cause and the future of hunting in that state are therefore at risk. Recruitment to hunting ranks should be the goal of ALL game managers and sportsmen. As long as the hunting tool falls within logical parameters of safe, capable and humane harvest capabilities, such recruitment should not be based upon, “do it my way or you can’t do it at all.†How can any organization which represents such a small percentile of the total number of archery tag purchasers in a state be so presumptuous to speak for all bowhunters and deny others? Does not their small total membership compared to the large number of archery hunters suggest perhaps they do not represent the views of the majority?

FACT: It is a fact confirmed by agency statistical data in crossbow hunting states that there are vastly more hunters (or potential hunters) who choose or would choose to hunt with a crossbow than those who oppose them.

FACT: Crossbow hunting is documented as safe, responsible and popular where permitted, and has no ill effect on wildlife resources or any other group of sportsmen – other than self-perceived. Ohio ranks the crossbow as a major recruitment tool for women, youth and professionals. The crossbow hunting opportunity does not create division amongst sportsmen – quite the opposite, it gives the firearms hunter a hands-on perspective of the challenges of archery hunting. The REAL concerns surrounding the crossbow hunting opportunity is the concept that there’s no room for recruitment to hunting ranks unless the tool used is one based upon the emotional, purism standards of a few. Wildlife resources should be managed for the most opportunity for most citizens/sportsmen, not for a select few. Facts, not emotion, document the crossbow hunting opportunity as positive for sportsmen and game management programs everywhere it is available for use.

lib*er*al: `li-b(&-)r&l
Noun: a person so open minded their brains have fallen out

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
MYTH: Crossgun users are Jehovah's Witnesses.

FACT: Not all of em are. It just seems that way on the internet. Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ncboman:
MYTH: Crossgun users are Jehovah's Witnesses.

FACT: Not all of em are. It just seems that way on the internet. Smiler

Nope Im a Catholic mona

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
You left out that crossbows are less accurate than compounds.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, after killing 4 deer in Ohio with a crossbow, when I had shoulder problems from work, everything JH said is true. The arrows are short and light and lose energy and velocity fast and the range is limited. To shoot a heavy arrow for penetration puts the velocity in recurve class. We tried a very heavy arrow once and it never reached the bale.
What I have found from years of playing with them everytime a friend brought one over is the main problem for accuracy is the groove the arrow rides in. It does not allow the arrow to react properly and broadheads are almost impossible to tune. I have seen some so bad that after shooting field points into the bullseye at 20 yd's, a broadhead would dive into the ground under the bale or take of for parts unknown. I don't thing anyone would put a groove for the arrow on their compound!
The most accurate crossbow ever made was the PSE Foxfire. It did not have a groove, just an adjustable, flexible rest out front and the arrow nocked on the cable. I could put 4 broadheads into 1" at 40 yd's offhand. Never tried more then 4 because I was tearing up the arrows.
I will never understand why they quit making them.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Beginning in 2005 Alabama allowed crossbows.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything said in the original post EXCEPT: "the crossbow must be moved in order to make the shot, just like a vertical bow". Of course you have to move it to aim it, but as a deer is coming toward you, you can aim the whole way and not have to move except to pull the trigger when the time is right. Now don't get me wrong, I think the more ways we hunters can add numbers to our ranks is great, but that part is wrong. One way to greatly increase and acknowledge the difference in the crossbow vs. the vertical bow is turkey hunting. See what I mean?

Make crossbows legal? YES

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
Don, after killing 4 deer in Ohio with a crossbow, when I had shoulder problems from work, everything JH said is true. The arrows are short and light and lose energy and velocity fast and the range is limited. To shoot a heavy arrow for penetration puts the velocity in recurve class. We tried a very heavy arrow once and it never reached the bale.
What I have found from years of playing with them everytime a friend brought one over is the main problem for accuracy is the groove the arrow rides in. It does not allow the arrow to react properly and broadheads are almost impossible to tune. I have seen some so bad that after shooting field points into the bullseye at 20 yd's, a broadhead would dive into the ground under the bale or take of for parts unknown. I don't thing anyone would put a groove for the arrow on their compound!
The most accurate crossbow ever made was the PSE Foxfire. It did not have a groove, just an adjustable, flexible rest out front and the arrow nocked on the cable. I could put 4 broadheads into 1" at 40 yd's offhand. Never tried more then 4 because I was tearing up the arrows.
I will never understand why they quit making them.

Evidently you never shot a Excaliber Xbow they shoot very accurate as do the Ten Points. It all depends on the trigger if they have a good trigger they will shoot good if they have a so so trigger so will be the accuracy. Excalibers have been known to shoot robin hoods if you aim at the same place with more than one arrow. (if you do not know what that is it is when you shoot a arrow and then stack another one into the first one, Just like they used to show in the old robin hood tv show.) Crossbows are no different than bows shooting broadheads you have to tume the arrows to shoot well and you have to find the right broadhead also that will shoot well just as you do with a verticle bow if a broadhead is shooting bad it is the broadheads fault not the design of the xbow. Grooved rail xbows shoot just fine if you have good arrows with the right broadheads.The same goes for Verticle bows if you do not have good arrows and broadheads they will not fly good. If you were shooting bullseyes at 20 with field points and not haveing good luck with the broadheads than you did not have your arrows balanced right or the broadheads were planeing and not right for the arrow or they were not on straight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve it all depends on the situation lots of times you may have to move the xbow for a shot. Not every stand may also be set up with a rest either to rest the xbow on. For the Record I do not hunt out of tree stands I hunt from the ground and every deer I have shot I pulled up the xbow to shoot which does involve movement. Either the deer moves or it stays. You take your chances either way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I admit that I have never shot one of the new ones. They are not legal to even take in the field here in WV, even if you are not hunting.
I could shoot ANY broadhead from the PSE. Took me all of 10 minutes to tune the thing too.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the older xbows I think were finicky but the newer ones that have a top loaded sear like the Excaliber and Ten Point really are accurate. The last Horton tI shot to try one out was pretty accurate too. Before the bow crowd jumps in with the xbow accuracy factor a new bow with all the bells and whistles are damn accurate too. My Excaliber has to be the most accurate one I have shot so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JH,

How about crawling into range and shooting from the laying position? Can't do that with a vertical bow Razzer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P. Steve Morgan:
JH,

How about crawling into range and shooting from the laying position? Can't do that with a vertical bow Razzer

Unless your on a golf range or a lawn I doubt you will find many places to shoot like that if it is level ground too much tall grass weeds and brush where I hunt. For those who never shot a crossbow and come up with these ideas on how easy they are compared to a vert bow never shot one. Like vert bows you have to worry about limbs hitting objects to throw off your shot and objects in the way of the arrows. Both the xbow and the vert bow has its plus's and minus's The bottom line is they both shoot a arrow about the same and both are accurate if the person using either sets them up right and sets their arrows up to shoot accurately ect. With todays compounds using releases and peep sights and fiber optic sights or scopes and red dots and with a 80% let off they are not exactly like a crossbow but they sure are getting close. What makes a xbow attractive is a kid or a woman can use one and be competitive with a guy using a 60 to 80# vert bow instead of useing a vert bow that may be 35#.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JH,

I have shot a xbow. Bought one for my brother who has some disabilities which restrict him from drawing a vbow. It's a ten point brand with the accu-draw. We havn't had to do much/any tuning except for adjusting the scope. Nice machine, and most importantly, he is now able to go hunting Smiler

I did find that even though it shoots really fast, it seems to be more critical on yardage estimation. Must be something to do with the line of sight being closer to the arrow or something. Confused

Anyway, the discussion/arguement about what is more "sporty" or harder to do can go on for an eternity. My stepfather insists on making his own bow out of a tree and then shoots some cane that he gets by the river. He doesn't kill alot, but that is what he likes to do. Is this a great country or what? clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea Steve it is a great country!!!! You have found out what every crossbow shooter knows and what the bowhunters either do not understand or try to downplay as they want folks to think that the xbow is so much more deadlier than a bow. Fact is range estimation is critical as the arrows drop fast at longer ranges. We have all heard the BS the bow hunting crowd spreads about xbows shooting at a 100 yards and it just is not so the xbow is a short range weapon just like the bow is. Most all xbow companies reccomend a 40 yard limit on shots while hunting. The xbow is no different than the bow as you need to estimate range correctly with both of them to make the shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MYTH: Just because crossbow hunting has been a success story in many states like Ohio, Arkansas and Wyoming we don’t want it in ours. All the bowhunters of “our†state and all of “our†enforcement officers are opposed to it.

If you think crossbow hunting has been a success story in Wyoming, you're mistaken.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
A piece on the History Channel compared the long bow to the cross bow in battle. The last great battle, according to the story, was between Britain and France at Crecy during maybe the dark ages.

The gist of the story is that the long bow could be shot much faster and that was the difference. Of course the British had the long bows and the French had the cross bows. So that could be the difference.

The cross bow is not legal in my state of CT without a medical reason.

http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/crecy.htm

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crossbows are in fact inferior to modern compounds in the ballistics categories.

But they more than make up for that fact by being MUCH easier to operate in hunting situations. Point and shoot. Less movement makes a HUGE difference when you have a critter under 40 yards.

Nope, I won't fight the crossbow coming into my State. Just put up with them when they get here. But I know a bunch of people that will fight them tooth and nail. Can't wait to see the "bowhunter's" running around on ATV's with crossbow's strapped across the handlebars. No different than the "bowhunter's" I've seen running around with their compound's strapped on the same way.

I prefer to bowhunt my way and not try tell others how to enjoy their hunting. But the truth is, it's the hunter, not the equipment. Slobs know no limit.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crossbows are fun and fun to hunt with. I would love to see WV make them legal. I may never buy another one since I sold my Foxfire but when you can use high power rifles for deer and now inline muzzle loaders with scopes during the so called primitive season and even one that uses smokeless powder, WHY NOT A CROSSBOW?
I remember when a compound was questionable in some states, in PA they wanted them unstrung after hunting hours or in the vehicle. (HOW?)Then the release was illegal in some states. We archers have gotten our way in every state and have no right to prevent crossbow use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And what about 80% let off? Draw the bow 5 minutes before the deer walks out, yeah, real sporting! How much different then a crossbow are some of you shooting? You don't even have to raise the bow when the deer can catch your movement. Far easier then holding a heavy crossbow out there.
I remember when someone got in trouble killing a deer with a spear! There was no law for or against it. Some of the game laws are just plain stupid.
If archers want to prevent crossbows in the field, here is my solution;
No compound less the 50% let off.
No glowing sights or scopes.
No release aids, fingers only.
No range finders.
I can go on and on with the advances we enjoy and would fight tooth and nail to save. So why do so many archers hate the crossbow?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can go on and on with the advances we enjoy and would fight tooth and nail to save. So why do so many archers hate the crossbow?

The same reason Traditional archers don't like compounds. It is the making of something difficult, easier.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still shoot and hunt with traditional equipment too. I even made a long bow from osage orange. I love all archery equipment including crossbows. I would never try to stop anyone from using what they like. It is just not right and shows a very poor mentality. As long as you shoot a stick with a broadhead, you are an archer. I never see the same problems with rifle hunters or handgun hunters, but I do with muzzle loader hunters. They have a tight knit group that says the inlines should not be allowed in primitive seasons. I do not nor will ever own an inline because I don't like them but I would not try to stop someone from using one.
We should stick together! We have too many creeps out there that want to outlaw guns and hunting.

one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

I dont use a x bow they are illegal to use for hunting in the uk....however as a matter of interest how much energy would your (average)
x bow be delivering at say 30 yards?

just interested
cheers
Roebuck222

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know Roebuck but I will ask at the Excaliber forum and post the answer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 150 lb xbow shooting 400 gr bolt at 275 fps will have a KE of 60 lbs at 30 yds. And a drop of almost 7 inches. Now of course there are lots of variables I asked for a average situation with a 150 pound xbow and this was that answer. I chose a 150 pound pull as that is on the lower end of the scale with other xbows having a heavier poundage but most companies make a 150 pound pull.