Find
Notify
Tools

CROSSBOWS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Question:
Do you think that crossbows should be legal during archery seasons where you hunt?

Choices:
Yes
No
Undecided

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes they are. they local sporting goods shop says he sells 3 crossbows for every 2 regular bows

Posts: 136 | Location: s.e. bc | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the P&Y Club.

Crossbows are a threat to bowhunting.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having talked to a lot of recurve, long bow, and compound bow hunters, then talking to a lot of cross bow hunters, one thing that stuck out in my mind with the crossbow dudes is that they don't seem to practice at all or very little. Most just pick up the crossbow and go hunting when archery season starts. It seems that the other bowhunters shoot a lot more, and year round.

Do you guys think that crossbows are an excuse for folks to hunt during archery season who otherwise would just hunt with a rifle? Do you think that they give an unfair advantage? Personally I have never shot a crossbow, but I do know that some folks would argue a lot of critters are running around with bolts sticking out of them.

MG

One of Us
Picture of Dman
posted Hide Post
I believe here in Colorado that crossbows are legal only during rifle seasons. I prefer it that way.
quote:
Do you guys think that crossbows are an excuse for folks to hunt during archery season who otherwise would just hunt with a rifle?

Yes.

Posts: 44 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 17 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I can't hunt with a compound or traditional bow anymore because of a back injury. If I want to use an X-Bow I have to get a doctor to sign the paperwork from the KDWP to get a permit to use one legally in Kansas. I fail to understand the thinking that they are as accurate or shoot like a rifle. The range is limited like any other bow as far as I know. I would tend to agree that most handicapped people would not practice very much with an X-Bow probably because a 150lb bow is hard to pull back even with a wench if you are disabled.

All the years I have hunted in Kansas I have never seen anyone carrying an X-Bow to hunt anything with. The archery range I use to shoot at wouldn’t let you practice with one because the bolts were to short and they would bury there selves in the target.

In a state where X-Bows are legal I cant see any reason for people not to use them if they are willing to practice. Isn’t this like the traditional bow shooters not likening compound bows I just fail to see the problem.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn’t this like the traditional bow shooters not likening compound bows I just fail to see the problem.

No, it's not the same at all.

I'll get into this later when I have more time and present my case against crossbows being allowed during archery seasons.

btw, the P&Y Club has no objection to the truely disabled being allowed use of crossbows.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a recurve no sights etc. it's very challenging and it's made me a better hunter. I have nothing against crossbows or compounds. I do have issues where the use of the new technology might affect my hunting opportuniy.

I think anyone with a disability should be able to use a crossbow legally in any season. My concern is related to the black powder issue...the better the technology gets the easier it is to score with "traditional" weapons. In line BP guns can shoot a couple hundred yards easily. Compounds can shoot 90 yards in really skilled hands. This takes away from the spirit in which the traditional seasons were set up. They were set up for people willing to handicap themselves with inferior weapons in order to have to get closer to the game-thus having to learn more about the game and hunting in general. Traditionalists also have to be content with lower numbers of animals killed and smaller trophies (generally speaking).

I know a crossbow isn't any better than a compound--yet but the time is going to come when they are much better, it's inevitable with the march of progress. This is all more fodder for the antis to use against hunting. In Alberta crossbows are ok during the rifle season or for handicapped people during the bow season. I think that's the way to go.

I also think that lawmakers see the improved technology involved and think "what the F**** we set up a special season to allow traditionalists to hunt and the season has been hijacked by "regular" hunters using high tech. weapons just wanting in on the longer season."

I think therefore that crossbows, inline BP guns and to a lesser extent compounds are a threat to traditional seasons.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm also a little miffed that I can't take my crossbow to the local archery center and practise with it. It would be great on Fridays when we do the traditional thing. The medeival reinactors come out with all their regalia and a crossbow would fit right in.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thing I find funny about this entire argument is everyone in my hunt club and family that use a CB own both, a traditional/combound bow and a crossbow. I think this holds true the majority of the time throughout. So basically the argument on CB's exist only when an archer choses his CB over his compound on that days hunting trip. Not many novices are lined up to spend $500+ on a decent CB if they have never been bowhunting before.

For the record, a crossbow is not a death ray. There range is basically 30-40 yards max. They are finicky about being locked in exactly the same place everytime the string is drawn. Only an idiot would walk around with a bolt loaded and drawn. I missed an opportunity at a doe last year with mine that I would have gotten cleanly with my compound because she came out of no where and I did not have time to lock the string and knock a bolt.

Basically it is a fad, most of the archers will get the woods back to themselves in a couple of years. I just like using both for variety and making the most of what little time I have in archery season to hunt.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do think those who are handicapped should be allowed every opportunity to get into the field and a crossbow would be great for some of these folks during archery season.

From what I see around me (don't know about the rest of the US), a lot of guys who use crossbows do because they don't have the time to shoot, or desire to practice with a long or compound bow. It seems many of these guys like to rifle hunt more than bow hunt, and a crossbow just gives them an opportunity to get into the field earlier that the rest of the folks (like the big trophys won't be around come rifle season). After seeing these scoped contraptions and hearing about guys taking 70 yard shots with them, it made me start thinking that some folks think crossbows are the "easy" way to bowhunt.

I think cargarychef said it best. If these hunting seasons are supposed to be for more "traditional" and primitive forms of weapons, are the advances with technology going to ruin it for everyone? I feel the world of blackpowder is already there. A guy with a flintlock doesn't hold a candle to these new inline jobs!

MG

One of Us
Picture of Dman
posted Hide Post
I think it is great that people who have physical limitations due to a disability might be able to experience archery hunting using a crossbow. I have no problems with that at all.

My main concern is that archery hunting as a whole has a tough row to hoe in the arena of public opinion, and even among the gun crowd. The (few) people I have seen using CB's did not project an image (through their behavior) that is good for hunting.

That said, maybe I should go get me one. They look like fun.

Posts: 44 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 17 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think compound bows should be allowed in archery season......after all, it goes against the spirit of bowhunting as it existed when the first archery seasons came to be.......compound bows have drastically increased success rates and have also drastically increased the number of people hunting during archery season and the number grows every year...... with compound bows having let-off up to 85% and mechanical releases being the norm......I just don't think it's fair to the animals or to the REAL bowhunters who use recurves and longbows as God intended!

Now, if they want to hunt with compounds during rifle season.....I guess that would be alright! Big Grin

Sounds silly doesn't it.....but the same arguments used against crossbows can be used against compounds....and, let's not forget, compounds are generally far more technologically advanced than crossbows......

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1970 I had been hunting with a recurve for about 2 years when I stuck a little black bear in the butt with an arrow. He ranoff, never to be seen again. I felt so bad I stopped bow hunting for 20 years.

When I came back to bow hunting, I wanted the best equipment I could find so I didn't wound another animal, which meant "high tech" stuff like a compound bow with finger release. I finally went to a mechanical release and now I'm shooting carbon arrows too....where will it end?

I have a friend with a heart attack and a stroke under his belt and he uses a cross bow because he can't use a compound anymore. He really shouldn't be in a tree stand period, but he loves to hunt and there certainly are worse ways to die. Anyway, if you can't hunt any other way, I say use a cross bow and enjoy.

For the rest of us, I think we should use what we are comfortable shooting so we can make humane kills every time we release an arrow. I agree that cross bows make it easier to hit the target without much or any practice....just like the magnum rifle blasters we see from the city.

With the deer population increase we've had in Maryland over the last 15 years in populated areas, the use of bow hunting is one of the best ways to control the population. There are anti-huntering liberals everywhere...wish there was a season on them and lawyers!! If hunters don't harvest them vehicle drivers will. Road kill tops the hunting harvest most years and those are only the ones that are reported.

I certainly agree with the comments regarding traditional hunting, but at least in my area (I know it is not that way everywhere) the populations of herds are so high we need to have the advantages of cross bows and compound bows, inline MLs and even longer seasons for herd control. We're rapidly reaching the same point with Canadian and Snow Geese...they are everywhere. We had a very mild winter and the survival rates are very high this year for deer and geese. At some point, the populations will crash and then it would be appropriate to place restrictions on harvest methods, reduce season and bag limits. For now...I think we're on the right track for population control. Just my 2 cents.....

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
I started hunting with a bow when I was 12.I am now 54. Compounds were too high tech and going to ruin archery and we were all against them when they first came out. Now they think they are archers. Well, they didn't ruin archery although archery has more gadgets and gismos than golf does. I started with recurve went to compound and this year I was fortunate enough to get to hunt with a crossbow. I developed a shoulder problem that took a year to get over and the only way I could get in the woods was with a crossbow. If you think it is not sporting, I challenge you to stalk a deer in his bedding area and get within 15 yards for the shot. It is like carrying around a half a sheet of plywood.
My point in all this is to point out that it is all about personal perception. I like traditional but will take what I can to enjoy the sport and it didn't hurt any of the other archers in the area. We must be most carefull that we don't give the anti's more ammuniton to fight us all with. Lets don't fight within our own ranks. Remember compound shooters, you are an outsider too and crossbows were bows long before you were invented. I personally think that compounds and percussion caps are just passing fads and won't be with us long.

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I'm not against crossbows or those that use them. Crossbows are cocked & locked and hence are not the same as hunting with a a bow.

Due to that I feel they should be used due firearm season.

If crosssbow had to be drawn like a bow and the weight held physically by the hunter (at least to p & Y let off standards) I would welcome crossgunners in bow season.

I have seen crossgunners walking around with bolts on there crossbows, while unacceptible to the serious of thier group, it does happen.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:
I do think those who are handicapped should be allowed every opportunity to get into the field and a crossbow would be great for some of these folks during archery season.

From what I see around me (don't know about the rest of the US), a lot of guys who use crossbows do because they don't have the time to shoot, or desire to practice with a long or compound bow. It seems many of these guys like to rifle hunt more than bow hunt, and a crossbow just gives them an opportunity to get into the field earlier that the rest of the folks (like the big trophys won't be around come rifle season). After seeing these scoped contraptions and hearing about guys taking 70 yard shots with them, it made me start thinking that some folks think crossbows are the "easy" way to bowhunt.

I think cargarychef said it best. If these hunting seasons are supposed to be for more "traditional" and primitive forms of weapons, are the advances with technology going to ruin it for everyone? I feel the world of blackpowder is already there. A guy with a flintlock doesn't hold a candle to these new inline jobs!

MG

Most all xbow companies state 40 yards as the longest reasonable distance to hunt with one. A arrow or bolt how ever you want to call them still acts the same out of a xbow as a vertical bow. Both drop like a rock at longer distances. If a xbow was sighted in at 20 yards at 50 yards it drops over 3 feet add a other 20 on to that you are probably talking at least 6 feet drop like bow hunters xbow hunters learn what their effective range is and they stck to that. Like I said most all xbow companies have set a 40 yard limit for effective range. Arrows/bolts deflect off of limbs and grass ect the same as a vertical bow so just because it is a xbow does not mean you do not have to practice with them. If you took the time to look at some of the xbow forums you would realize this. Most xbow hunters shoot a lot because they enjoy shooting their xbows just as many do their vertical bows. To get good takes practice no matter what you shoot. Learn about a subject before you start making wild claims! I started shooting a recurve over 40 years ago, then switched to a compound now a xbow so I have a practical expirience in knowing how the arrows act the same out of both platforms Vertical and Horizontal.

lib*er*al: `li-b(&-)r&l
Noun: a person so open minded their brains have fallen out

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't argue with your comments, but I do know 2 deer hunting guides who now refuse to allow cross bows on their property because " the a$$holes wound too many deer". What they find is folks from the "city" who cough up $500 and get a cross bow and think they are ready to shoot a deer. Unfortunately, early bow season on the Eastern Shore of Maryland will bring shots at the trophy bucks. An unprepared cross bow hunter wounds a really nice buck and the buzzards find it 2 or 3 days later laying dead in the green briar with a bolt in the guts or butt.

I'm not against cross bows (see my earier post), but there are two sides to their use. Not everyone is ethical.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dislocated my shoulder in 1996. I had a Custom Wapiti take down, by Keith Chastain, of Lakewood Co. Great bow. Two sets of limbs, case, the whole ball of wax. I could not shoot it after the injury to my shoulder. Every time I'd try and draw it, I hurt myself. I went to a low poundage compound, and was able to extend my 30 years of bow hunting a couple more years. Now even a compound is not possible for me. I bought a crossbow, and got a permit. I did not hunt for two weeks, because I struggled with the morality of this issue. I've come to the conclusion, that a crossbow is not the same as my recurve. My compound, is no way my recurve either. My crossbow, is not my recurve or compound. But.........The crossbow is not a long range weapon, as many think. It still requires skill to get with in 25 yds (my personal limit, with any of the three pieces of equipment). The crossbow allows me the chance to get out and hunt in the time of year I like the most. I used to think like ncboman. Ncboman, I hope and pray, you never have to go through the pain and suffering I have with my shoulder. I used to think, if I could not use my recurve, I would quit archery hunting. Don't be so quick to judge with out walking a mile in my shoes. My crossbow, is not my Wapiti TD. Period! I know this for myself. I need no one to tell me. But take the sights off of a Matthews Switchback, forbid the use of release aids, get rid of the 65%-75% let off, and how many real bow hunters would you have. Take away the tree stand, and oh my I'd hate to think of how the numbers would drop. I shot traditional for 25 years. I've killed 26 deer with traditional equipment, 2 with compounds, and three with a crossbow. That's 31 deer. Out of them, 8 came from tree stand hunting, the rest came from spot and stalk, and a few were luck encounteres. I don't need lectured, or told what bowhunting is. When I went to a compound, some of my friend had a fit. When I went to a crossbow, I lost a place I had hunted for 20 years, because the owner, was anti crossbow. Crossbows, require practice as do bows and rifles. I have seen many traditional shooter, who can't hit a bull in the A$$, because they do not put in the practice time. Because I hunted traditional for so long, I have been on many a friends bad hit, late night tracking job. To be honest, Traditional shooters are the worst shots out there, they even have special pegs at the three d shoots just for them. I used to practice every day. Trying to make my first arrow the best with each session. I did not shoot a lot, 10-20 shots, but did it every day. When I could not practise any longer, I knew I did not belong in the woods. That's when I made the choice to go to the crossbow. I do practice with it, and plan on killing a spring gobbler with it. There are slob hunter everywhere. There should be a shooting test in every state. You don't pass, you don't hunt. That would limit the hunters in the woods. Life is short, and I hope none of you folks who are dead set on removing crossbows from the season, realize you may soon be the handicapped. I wish this on no one, but it does happen. I love to hunt in the fall. My bolt, is equipped with the same head, causing the same infliction as a longer arrow. Recovery is exactly the same. The only difference is my bow is cocked. That is what I miss, the getting away with the draw process. The feeling is good but not quite the same. Believe me when I tell you, I wish I was using my traditionl bow. But I can't. I have no desire to enter any animal in the P & y club. Perhaps they should have a place for animals taken with a crossbow. Bottom line, if I can get out and enjoy the time of year I love the best, folks should not try and deprive me of that. Maybe us nonbowhuntr crossbow hunters, should push for the ban of sights and release aids, and compounds for the P&Y club. But I like to think I'm better than that. I will not bother you, so please don't bother me. We are hunters together. We have a better fight to fight. Every day, anti's are attacking our right to hunt. Let us fight that battle together. Just my thought. Butcher

Posts: 110 | Location: SWPA | Registered: 11 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lowrider 49:
I won't argue with your comments, but I do know 2 deer hunting guides who now refuse to allow cross bows on their property because " the a$$holes wound too many deer". What they find is folks from the "city" who cough up $500 and get a cross bow and think they are ready to shoot a deer. Unfortunately, early bow season on the Eastern Shore of Maryland will bring shots at the trophy bucks. An unprepared cross bow hunter wounds a really nice buck and the buzzards find it 2 or 3 days later laying dead in the green briar with a bolt in the guts or butt.

I'm not against cross bows (see my earier post), but there are two sides to their use. Not everyone is ethical.

No not every one is ethical and to be honest there are a whole hell of a lot of bow hunters and gun hunters out there that do not practice like they should and wound deer. Sounds like them too guides just are anti xbow and want a excuse. Instead of not allowing xbows make them have their clients take a shooting test first to show they can shoot and make it known that is their regulations I see no problems with that. Most good guides do that anyway so what is with these guys???????They are taking at face value their clients can shoot with out checking them out first??????? Not very professional. I bow hunted for years before getting disabled and switching to a xbow. I can hontestly say I have lost two deer with a bow that the blood trail finally quit and the deer could not be found. That is with over 40 years of hunting. Not proud of it, but it happens no matter what the system used. I practice shooting guns all year and I used to shoot bows and now xbows from the spring to the end of deer season. Unfortunatly not all do that. I know of guys who have wounded deer with guns and bows that did not spend the time looking for the animal that they should have. Nor did they spend the time practicing as they should have. There are slob hunters out there no matter what the weapon used. Unfortunate but true. All I can say is no matter what you use practice and any guide out there that is worth their salt should make the clients shoot to show their equipment is on and they know how to use it!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Post Butcher!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ncboman:
I agree with the P&Y Club.

Crossbows are a threat to bowhunting.

That is total BS and stupidity. First of all not every Bow hunter is going to embrace the xbow and look at the compound users that went back to recurves and longbows for more of a challenge or those that never left those types of bows. Xbows are very accurate in the right hands if you have a good one. In the same respect same with a Compound they are just as accurate and both have the same effective hunting range for most people. If the gun hunters said we do not want bow hunters in the woods anymore you bow folks would be incensed. So why do you think you should do the same about xbows??????? There should be room for every one to hunt using what they want to use. Bow hunting organisations are the most selfish ME ME ME groups I have ever seen and In all my years of bow hunting ( over 40) I have never joined one for that reason. Lets consider the hunting season belongs to all of us who buys a license and wants to enjoy it. Be that bow or xbow or gun or muzzle loader. Butchers comments about recurve and longbow archers being the worst shots maybe true to a point some of them are extrodinary shots but they also practice a lot to get that way others may never master the recurve or long bow well and have to make their shots close and keep them that way which is fine. On the other hand a compound bow set up with all the bells and whistles will shoot as good as any xbow both take practice to do so, with in their respective ranges which is about the same for either weapon. An arrow is going to drop at longer distances no matter what it shot out of. I do not care how many say shooting a xbow is a piece of cake and easy. Try in hunting then tell me that. They all take practice and good hunting techniques no matter what you use to hunt with.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
To be honest, Traditional shooters are the worst shots out there, they even have special pegs at the three d shoots just for them.

Please be my guest at the Trad National In CloverDale IN. on June 9-10. I'll be camping and will be happy to have you join my camp fire, eat, drink and then walk the course with my group.

We would welcome the oppertunity to show how much your're talking out your ass with comments like that. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Round and round we go....crossbows are allowed and rightly so, for people with disabilities during the regular bow season. They should be religated to rifle season otherwise. Not because of how they shoot (poorly) but because of public perception. We have enough problems with the anti's.

Boss I'd sure like to go to that shoot with you.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
chef - We'd enjoy your company!!! I'd like to get your opinon on my Dutch oven & open fire fare.

We have two large shoots in my area. Cloverdale will draw from 1000 to 2500 trad shooters, many of us do actually hit what we're shooting at Roll Eyes

If you ever wish to attend, fly into Chicago and I'll pick you up at the Airport, drive us to the shoot and get you back.

We have most of the top bowyers in the nation in attendence. You can try the various bowss until your arm fall off! It's a great oppertunity to try a custom bow before you order.

http://www.cloverdalenationals.com/

The other big shoot is Compton Trad. Bowman's annual.

http://comptontraditional.com/read.cfm?id=4

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chief we will not even go into the handi capped issue as I feel who ever wants to use a xbow should in bow season as it is a form of archery. Your comments of only in rifle season or having a separate season that way it will not screw up MY BOW HUNTING is nothing but being selfish. Like I said before a lot of bowhunters are selfish my woods my deer mentality which sucks and that does more to hurt our fight with the antis than some one using a xbow. IF the bow hunters and the bow hunters groups were not making such a fricking issue on this I would bet that john q public could care less. As far as the anti's go they are against every type of hunting not only xbow if you bow guys would not be so against it the anti's probably would not know what was going on. This crap is just as stupid as the inline/traditional muzzle loading fight. We should all stick together against the antis instead of in fighting all the time. Every one is so damn afraid some one else will get their bone! mona

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
jh45gun - A X-gun is not archery, weither bolt looks like an arrow or not.

Bowhunters in most areas can not by hunting regs. have any device that locks the arrow at full draw. If Bowhunters were using that type of a device then there would not be a difference.

There are equal amounts of good hunters using bows, X-Guns, rifles & shootguns and there are equal amounts of jerks. One's weapon choice does not make one moral or etical...his actions do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Kongoni:
jh45gun - A X-gun is not archery, weither bolt looks like an arrow or not.

Bowhunters in most areas can not by hunting regs. have any device that locks the arrow at full draw. If Bowhunters were using that type of a device then there would not be a difference.

There are equal amounts of good hunters using bows, X-Guns, rifles & shootguns and there are equal amounts of jerks. One's weapon choice does not make one moral or etical...his actions do.

You bow hunters really crack me up saying xbows are like guns which they are not they are a horizontal bow as opposed to a verticle bow and yea you can hold the string back. They are not a gun nor is a bow YET every day they are MAKING BOW PRODUCTS to make a vericle bow more like crossbows so I really do not understand your arguements. I was looking at the fall issue 2005 of Cabela's Archery Catalog and found the following: Releases with triggers Gee where do you find triggers at??? Slings for more steady holding while shooting? Gee where are slings used most at???? Mono pods attached to bows to add more stability and rock steady holding while shooting??? Imagine that! Items used to hold the arrow to the bow so it does not fall off>>>> Scopes and Red Dots that mount to bows and fiber optic sights. Wonder of Wonders I wonder what they will think up next LOL Todays modern bow hunter has more things taken from gun ideas yet that is ok for them to use such items but put the bow horizontal and give it a stock that is a no no. Talk about a bunch of hypicritical crap. Seems like the bow folks are doing every thing possible to make bows more like xbows while bashing the crap out of xbows the whole time they are doing it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one guide has had cross bow hunters wound animals repeatedly over several years before he stopped their use. Yes, they could have done the same with a gun, but they didn't. They were arrogant assholes...no other way to put it. The last one had a confrontation with the owner's son where he pulled a knife on him when he told the "client" he couldn't use a cross bow....it ended with the guy being arrested.

The second farm had a similiar incident when a "client" was responsible for wounding 4 does in one day and never went to look for them.

You're right..it is the people, not the weapon he used that is to blame. Maybe it was an easy excuse to stop cross bows, but I think it was just a mater of them being tired of the BS...maybe they picked a bad way to do it.

The year of the .30-06!!

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Personaaly, I hunt with a recurve and shoot fingers off the shelf. Very simple equipment really.

I don't find anything hypocritical at all in requiring bowseason to be for bows that require the hunter to hold the wt.

If you would take the time to actually talk to serious bowhunters vs. ranting & raving you might learn that most of the "Bow Toys" are concidered silliness.

You are correct the bow industry will put out anything they think someone will buy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to one hell all I have to do is look in the mirror I bow hunted for over 40 years and enjoyed it. Started out with a recurve then like most switched to a compound now a xbow. So you are not talking to a first time archer using just a xbow here!!!! Now as a xbow hunter I take exception to the guys who bash xbows just because they do not want extra hunters in the woods during what they consider their season yet these same guys are the guys the traditional bow hunters tried to keep out of the woods when the wheel bow first came out. I have been there using a bow and I hold no issue with other hunters using the same season (xbows) and more guys are seeing that way too but there is a very vocal bow hunter group that is selfish and does not want any other folks in the woods during what they consider THEIR season which is totally crap! Wether bow hunters consider the toys that or not is a moot point the stuff is out there and most guys use releases now and fancy sights and arrow rest which to a traditional archery person may be toys but I can see them selling said toys to folks who will try them out.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
When you have to hold your draw wt. like I do.....you belong in Bow season too.

That's really the bottom line to all this.

There's a great bowhunter that I see from time to tine at the local shots. On his 85th birthday two years ago he took his selfbow and went to South africa to hunt plains game.

I know of a one armed longbow hunter that uses a mouth tab.

And, I hunted with a man with a device on his arm prostecuss (bow arm) so he could still use his cross bow, he was 68.

None of my objection has to do with anything about removing bowhunting competion. Cross-guns are not bows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Kongoni:
When you have to hold your draw wt. like I do.....you belong in Bow season too.

That's really the bottom line to all this.

There's a great bowhunter that I see from time to tine at the local shots. On his 85th birthday two years ago he took his selfbow and went to South africa to hunt plains game.

I know of a one armed longbow hunter that uses a mouth tab.

And, I hunted with a man with a device on his arm prostecuss (bow arm) so he could still use his cross bow, he was 68.

None of my objection has to do with anything about removing bowhunting competion. Cross-guns are not bows.

You can put GUN in the sentence all you want a crossBOW is not a gun and never will be. It is a bow mounted on a stock, but still a bow never the less. Crossbows shoot the same distance as a bow for hunting purposes 40 yards and under reccomended and both shoot a arrow that falls to the same physical forces of dropping the same at a longer distance and holding over or under for one pin or sight usage. Or if you used no sights looking over the arrow it would still be the same. Wether you like it or not xbows are here to stay and are making more inroads every day. Now that is not to say that every archer will use one far from the truth and you guys really have nothing to fear. But like Chicken Little you are all running around saying the sky is falling becuase xbows are being allowed in archery seasons where they should be as they are a archery product. The industry even considers them an archery product so you guys who put gun in the sentence hopeing to misdirect folks just will not cut it anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jh,

what you and others fail to realise is the crossbow during bow only seasons is an infringement on our bow only seasons.

If you think it will stop there, good luck.

Another item of note;

We see more and more news reports of pets and people being killed by bows and arrows when in fact crossbow bolts are the real culprits in most of these cases. The news media doesn't have sense enough to report the story correctly so bows and arrows get the blame by the public. The nonhunter says 'what's the difference?', but we as bowhunters know the difference and I for one do not like what I see.

A handful of sloppy irresponsible crossbow enthusiasts potentially will ruin bowhunting for all of us.

You can't shoot a real bow and arrow from a car window. We've had years of bow only seasons without problems. The introduction of the crossbow during the bow only seasons is the beginning of the sunset of something we've done without problems for a long time. Why in the heck do you promote losing it all over a stupid crossbow?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ncboman:
jh,

what you and others fail to realise is the crossbow during bow only seasons is an infringement on our bow only seasons.

If you think it will stop there, good luck.

Another item of note;

We see more and more news reports of pets and people being killed by bows and arrows when in fact crossbow bolts are the real culprits in most of these cases. The news media doesn't have sense enough to report the story correctly so bows and arrows get the blame by the public. The nonhunter says 'what's the difference?', but we as bowhunters know the difference and I for one do not like what I see.

A handful of sloppy irresponsible crossbow enthusiasts potentially will ruin bowhunting for all of us.

You can't shoot a real bow and arrow from a car window. We've had years of bow only seasons without problems. The introduction of the crossbow during the bow only seasons is the beginning of the sunset of something we've done without problems for a long time. Why in the heck do you promote losing it all over a stupid crossbow?

I have yet to see one incident of pets and people being killed by xbows show me the links I think you cannot!!! Crossbows are physically large enough that shooting one out of a car window is pretty tough to do. The limbs are normally big enough that there would not be room to do it. I have known guys who violated shooting out the open doors of cars with bows so do not give me the only xbows violate bullshit it will not wash. Game Wardens have always keep a eye on bow hunters for the better chance of violating with a silent weapon. I know my brother is a retired warden he has told me some of the tales as has lots of retired wardens who have written books on their careers which I have read. Not all Bow hunters are lilly white either there dude! While there may be a few instances of bad xbow hunters therre is the same for bow hunters and gun hunters. Your hate or selfishenss against xbows just shows your ignorance and blindness against a valid archery platform. Your comments are just as fricking stupid as the traditional guys 30 some years ago when the compounds showed up on the scene. Bowhunters that attempt to make crossbows a evil weapon are chasing windmills. Crossbows are here to stay wether you like it or not and most State Game Depts are seeing the xbow as a valid tool for deer management. It does not matter that the bow hunting groups will fight it the States will try to make it fair for every one wether your bow groups like it or not. There is room for both in the woods like it or not and both are a valid archery platform. I bow hunted for over 40 years I have seen and heard the stories of others wounding deer and loosing them or not looking for them. I have heard the stories of hunting till dark which is after shooting hours and wardens arresting them for that. I have heard the stories of shooting deer at night at cabins with a bow while deer were at a feeder. For every instance you give me for a violation using a xbow if you can come up with any I can give you ten fold using a bow. So do not give me use bow hunters are perfect and we have had perfect seasons no way not in the real world. Bow only seasons eh thats great as a xbow is a bow wether you like it or not. Put it this way No xbows ok then no releases, or sights, or compounds or aluminum or carbon arrows. No peep sights or fancy short draw systems or fall away arrow rest. Take away all that crap and see how many folks will bow hunt. While some have went back to the recurve or long bow most prefer compounds and all the bells and whistles so are you any different than a xbow user not hardly. Just hypicritical is all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have yet to see one incident of pets and people being killed by xbows show me the links I think you cannot!!!

Woman Dead in Virginia Beach, Shot in Back by Arrow - Husband Charged With Murder

Police have charged a man in connection with a bizarre death in Virginia Beach where authorities say a woman died after she was shot in the back with an arrow.

The incident happened Sunday around 10:40am at a home in the 3000 block of Polk Drive in the Courthouse Estates section of the city.

Despite efforts to save 44-year-old Anna Creamer, police say she died at the home.

After questioning people in the house at the time of the incident, police charged Creamer's husband - 44-year old Kenneth Frank Creamer - with murder. He is being held without bond at the Virginia Beach City Jail.

Police say they responded to the same address back in November of last year for an accident involving a crossbow. Officials say in that incident, Anna Creamer was grazed by an arrow.

Neighbors tell WAVY News 10 the Creamer family had lived in the home for about three years.

Anna Creamer was a teacher with the Chesapeake school system.

--------------

Here's a link to another one about this fella.

web page

These are just two recent ones I saw that happen to mention crossbows. In the tv reporting though, people being interviewed on the street as well as the reporters are referring to them as bows and arrows. That's fact.

Now that you've been proven WRONG, you can continue to try and insult me if you wish but the more you try, the worse you'll look.

oh, and the bow only seasons were never meant as a game management tool. That is a fallacy woven into this subject by crossbow dealers. Indeed the bow only seasons were set so as to have a neglegable impact on the deer populations and allow the bowhunters relatively undisturbed game to try. What an idea!!!

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
You do know that the Crossgun was invented so that any dolt in the kings army or civilains could load, point & shoot.

This was a bennifit for the fudal millitary as millitary archers were trained from youth in the use & skill of the bow. Weither it was the English longbowman or the mounted Turks & Mongols. Those trained in the bow were serious about there weapon of choice.

Little has changed to day. Now instead of the King's Army it's the AMO pushing the ease of gagets and now Crossguns. The resulting skill levels need remain the same as they did 1000 years ago. Any Dolt in the Kingdom can load, point, & shoot a crossGUN, it never was an issue of skill.

The question was do they belong in Bowhunting season...I still maintain NO as the shooter doesn't hold the weight of the draw a mechinal devise does. That is my only objection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure there are bow and arrow incidents also. The unfortunate thing is that most of these incidents are not by xbow hunters but by kids or irresponsible adults, same as gang members shot with pistols are not shot by hunters either but both get bad press.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Xbows are not guns, they do not use powder or compressed air or gas to project a projectile. They do have a string and a bow and shoot a arrow even a moron should be able to identify a bow on a xbow.
Any one these days with a couple of hours practice with a new modern easy let off bow with a release and good sights shoot some pretty good targets. I see kids who never shot a bow before shoot at the local fish and game league spring show in the booth they have and shoot pretty decent. Learning to shoot a bow with all the doo dads they have now is not like shooting a long bow or recurve of the past. Also if you look at history the crossbow was used to defeat armor and most archers shot in a volley arrows at a distance they did not have to be good just fast to keep arrows in the air and somewhat on target. You have been watching too much robin hood. LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to my last post both the bow and xbow need practice to get good. Still a modern bow can be learned in a short time with all the added accessories to make it easier. Any one can learn to shoot a bow or a xbow good with practice and that is the key practice yet you can still do decent with a short time on the range with either weapon. You do not have to be a dolt as was suggested earlier though such comments makes ya wonder. ???