THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Short Draw and Needing Speed

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Draw and Needing Speed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
Hey guys. I am not new to archery...just far removed. I even owned a shop in the early nineties. I sold High Country bows and all the accessories from Pape's Archery and Kinsey's Archery. A friend of mine has gotten me fired up for 3-D again. I've tried a couple of solo cam bows. I've shot two Mathews bows, bought a Hoyt Ultra Tec, and tried a PSE. Bottom line...I have a 27 1/2" draw length. These bows are ultra slow! Given the fact that I am at a disadvantage when shooting with guys who shoot 30 inch draw lengths, who can recommend a truly fast or at least decent shor draw bow for targets? I won't use the bow for hunting. I have a bow for the few trips I take to the woods. I know I'm the odd duck, but I like 3-D with a bow. When I hunt, I prefer a rifle. I used to be a die-hard bowhunter and have no problem with those of you who are, but I simply don't have the time to dedicate many days afield that I once did. So, I am interested just in targets and I want some speed! All of the solo cams I've shot, contrary to the modern hype, have been 20-40 fps slower than I like for targets. I am used to a two cam bow shooting 300 plus with a 5 grains / lb. setup. I am getting in the upper 280 fps range (measured with an Oheler Chronograph) with the fastest of those I've shot (Mathews Black Max).

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my draw is only a half inch longer than yours. what is your draw weight set at?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 26 and 3/4 draw length. Even at 5 grains per pound, you may not be able to get 300+ out of any bow given a 27" draw. Bowtech makes, to my knowledge, the fastest IBO rated bows out there. You may want to look at some of thier offerings. Of course, speed has nothing to do with accuracy. Wink

Cheers

Posts: 75 | Location: Montgomery, AL | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Tech 29 Bow tech . My draw is 28"
and my speed at 60 lbs is 286 with 100 gr broadhead. I know at 70 lbs it will be over 300.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Bowtech Equilizer or Elite Archery Ice might be what you're looking for. The Elite E-500 is also very fast and comes in draws down to 27.5". They are as fast or faster than a Bowtech Allegiance and have Barnsdale laminated limbs and Winners Choice strings and cables. The big bonus is they cost less than Bowtechs. Over on Archery talk, I was just reading a post by someone who shoots 27 or 27.5 inches at 67 lbs with an Elite and gets 305 fps.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't remember the exact number, it has been more than a little while, but with my diamond set at 72lbs i'm right around 308 i think.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I took a newer one cam bow not too long ago that had a 30" draw and shot it through my chrono at around 260 with some heavier carbons. I lowered the bow to 27" and cut the same arrows down for the bow and the speed dropped to around 230 through the chrono. That's the first I actually chronoed to see the difference in speed w/ the shorter draw. It so happened to be 10 fps per inch of shortening the draw. Couldn't tell you if that will be the truth w/ every bow.

In your situation I would look at advertised IBOs drop them by 3-5%(never found one that chronoed as advertised)and drop another 25-30 fps off due to your short draw. In that case, you're most likely going to have to get a bow w/ IBO of 350 or close to get what you want (300 fps w/ 5gpp) IMO.

I also think you may be sacrificing a good bit in the accuracy department by going after the fastest bow you can find just to shoot 3-d. An accurate and forgiving bow would be my top priority.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
The Mathews almost never get their IBS numbers.

My Bowtech Allegiance did.

I still like the Mathews better!

Sorry I don'r know much about fast, short-stroke bows.

Good luck,

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote