THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    My Hubby Finally Outdid Me, but...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Hubby Finally Outdid Me, but...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
He'd be lost without me....

He shot a buck last evening and we spent two hours following a blood trail 150 yards before losing all sign of it. Figured would try again today because the dirty look of the blood indicated a gut shot or worse.

He had to go to work but planned to come home early so i went out to look. Woods are just in back of the house and you can get there either along the creek or go up on the hill. Creek is shorter so i decided to go that way even though it is sloppy muddy. I was riding along looking all around to try to see some deer, not expecting this, but i looked to the right up the bank and there laid his deer sprawled out.

I went up and gutted it and it was still warm inside. I should have left it for him to gut, lol, would have encouraged him to do better shot placement, LOL. The animal had quartered toward him and the arrow went in the side and out the rear hindquarter, it was pretty messy inside. That can happen, i'm just happy that he got a pretty nice deer, its only a 6 pt like mine was but its a bit bigger.

I nosed the 4 wheeler up to the bank and by pulling the deer just 20 feet it went right on the ATV rack. Sweet and easy.

Seems like they always head down hill and in this case toward water.

Penny

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
Good job plinker. The only "help" I get from my wife is the "suggestion" that I not bring that bloody mess near the house until its cut up.

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's a lucky man for sure. Not one wife in a thousand no make that a million would gut a deer. My wife won't even take a fish off the hook. Tell him no more quartering towards shots and see what he says!!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh gee, i re-read what i wrote and hey, it sounds like i not only hunt....i also FISH....for compliments. Roll Eyes But i like it, thanks! I figure you guys have got VERY VERY wonderful wives too, gifted in a lot of other ways.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plinker603:
Oh gee, i re-read what i wrote and hey, it sounds like i not only hunt....i also FISH....for compliments. Roll Eyes But i like it, thanks! I figure you guys have got VERY VERY wonderful wives too, gifted in a lot of other ways.

Plinker

It doesn't sound like you do it for compliments. It sounds like you have the same passion for it that I do. I really didn't mean to make it sound like that.

And yes I do have a wonderful wife.....but she still don't help with cutting deer up.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, i REALLY like hunting. The most fascinating part of deer hunting to me is finding the deer. No matter how many times, it's still a shock and surprise come upon it after you shot it. I don't mean i like to see dead stuff. Just that one time its so fully wild and alive, you shoot it and it runs off full blast. So then it just doesn't seem real when you come upon it and there it is. Anyone else like that part the best? I just love it.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plinker603:
Yeah, i REALLY like hunting. The most fascinating part of deer hunting to me is finding the deer. No matter how many times, it's still a shock and surprise come upon it after you shot it. I don't mean i like to see dead stuff. Just that one time its so fully wild and alive, you shoot it and it runs off full blast. So then it just doesn't seem real when you come upon it and there it is. Anyone else like that part the best? I just love it.

Plinker

YES!!! It is amazing the emotions you go through when tracking a deer. Especially on a marginal shot. I take extreme pride in finding every deer I shoot. In 18+ years I have only lost two. Many blood trails have been thin and required marking at least the last three spots to get a line on where the deer was going. Finding a deer after all that work is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
For me the finding of the deer is always a relief!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great job, Plinker. My wife will help me package the meat after I cut it up. She will not gut one, period.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great relief when you find them and put a conclusion on it. Always those moments of doubt if they do not go down within sight when you second guess your shot.

Your husband is a lucky - lucky man to have a wife that enjoys and shares in his hunting and seems to be very passionate about it.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote