New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rocket Aeroheads
 Login/Join

<Zingela>
posted
Can anyone share their experience with Rocket aeroheads.

Do you think that they will work well on thick skin African animals like hippo, elephant, giraffe and buffalo?

one of us
posted Hide Post
From another hunting site the following evaluation has been done on broadheads.
He has evaluated 3 Rocket designs.

http://www.geocities.com/mtnbkr99_1/broadhead.html

Myself, For Hippo, Elephant and Buff I'd have to think twice about using a mechanical head.
Will it work on a perfect shot? I believe so but what mostly concerns me is the not so perfect ones since energy is being lost opening up the broadhead and I would wnat to use that energy on penetration.
For most of the plains game I wouldn't have an issue with them as I know most of the heads work great on Whitetail deer sized critters. Eland, Kudu and Giraffe I would classify as Elk/Moose sized and for me, mechanical heads are to iffy on these.

Hope this helps
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the mechanical heads for accuracy at high speeds. Wouldn't a heavy, slower arrow with deeper penetration be the ticket for these big, tough animals? If that is the case, the arrow speeds would be slow enough to get good arrow flight/accuracy with a fixed blade head. So, what would be any other advantages for using a mechanical? The fixed blade makes more sense to me. I love my new faster bow but I sure do miss my old Black Diamonds!

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
Dittos to what amosgreg and P. Steve Morgan posted. I have killed several whitetails with 75 grain Rocket Aeroheads, with acceptable results, but I do not think I would use them on larger game, unless I couldn't get any other heads to fly correctly. Although they shoot very well, they are not very tough. I have had blades bend on most shots through the ribcage. I shot one deer through the shoulder on a facing quartering shot and one of the blades broke. I think that this year 100 grain Thunderheads will on my hunting arrows.

FWIW

cwilson

Posts: 713 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote