New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Ibex
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody ever hunted Ibex in the Florida Mountains in New Mexico? I am looking to apply for one of the 100 tags for archery.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have twice but never with a bow. Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son drew a bow tag for mid October 2019
I believe the success rate is very low.
Any suggestions....

Thanks, Lee

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice is for him to be careful, especially with a bow. They can and will attack when wounded, and have been known to kill people. Not kidding here. A ranch hand was killed by one in south Texas a number of years ago.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
My advice is for him to be careful, especially with a bow. They can and will attack when wounded, and have been known to kill people. Not kidding here. A ranch hand was killed by one in south Texas a number of years ago.

Ibex? You sure that wasn't oryx? Those dudes can get a little aggressive at times.

For ibex, get ready to climb. I have hunted them twice with a bow, back when hunter numbers were lower. I think success rates then, and maybe still now, were about 1.5%. It's tough country to hunt with a bow. The two bow seasons now have 100 hunters each, which may be enough feet out pounding the rocks to move the critters around a lot. If I were to do it again, and I'm not (if that says anything), I'd look for good places to set up an ambush along travel routes. The seem to be somewhat creatures of habit, and getting in close to a place/route they want to use seems like a good approach for the patient bowhunter.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was oryx. My bad. I didn't know there were free ranging ibex in NM.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Kaprota, carry a sidearm. Seriously. A friend had that tag, ran into a game warden and he recommended carrying just because of the number of mules packing drugs up through the rugged Floridas from you-know-where.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
It is about 70 miles from my house, and if I was hunting over there I would sleep at my house, and make the drive twice a day.

Border country is pretty rough right now.

A friend of mine drew that tag for rifle nanny a few years ago and camped out there. The border patrol and game and fish visited his camp every night. Just like Bill's friend.

There are quite a few videos on youtube of recent hunts in the Floridas for ibex.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote