Notify
Tools

First bow kill!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
Well,

It took me almost 9 months to finally get my first bow kill.

I received an invitation from a friend (Johan) to join him for the past long weekend on his fathers game farm in the Ellisras district for a bow hunt. thumb I immediately accepted the invitation. The animals targeted would be Impala and Warthog.

Johan the only guy in South Africa that I know of who produces custom broad heads commercially. He calls them the Big Five Broad Heads. thumb

Well on Friday afternoon around 13:00 he said he could see a Impala coming in. When I look out of the window my hart almost jumped out of my throat. The impala was big. Red Face

To make a long story short the impala stood at 27 yards broadside. Perfect!!! And I missed him!!!!! I shot two inches to low and the arrow went just below the brisket. A clean miss. Mad Frowner :duh:

That evening Johan's mother ask me if I could to shoot a kudu for the church. What a question. :grin:

Saturday morning we are in the hide before sunrise. Listing to the African bush coming alive. "Awesome"

Around 07:40 I saw two Kudu cows coming to the water and just behind them the Impala ram I missed!!!

What to do now? Do I go for the Impala or the Kudu? :shrug:

The ram came quickly to the water and took a quick drink and before we were ready he left. The two Kudu cows came in nice and slowly. The biggest cow came in to the water and presented no shot. She then turned around and presented me with a quartering away shot. thumb

She went down with in 60 yards of the shot. I used a Bowtech Allegiance set at 70lbs with Gold Tips XT Hunter arrows and a 140gr Big Five two blade broad head. A shoot through with a total penetration of 60 inches.

Johan shot an impala ewe and later in the afternoon he shot his first Kudu bull with a Bowtech Allegiance set at 75lbs and a 165gr Big Five two blade broad head. Red Faceoo: thumb

Here is a photo of the Big Five Broad head after its been shot.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Hope it was worth the wait.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Yes it really was worth it.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Great feeling isn't it.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Patience.............Bowhunting..............

Where have I heard that before ?

Congrats !!

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ghundwan,

you got that right. Patience.

But its worth the wait. Smiler

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Congratulations! Any animal taken with a bow should be considered a trphy!
Jim