THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Recomend me a new bow for big game please

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recomend me a new bow for big game please
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted
I have been guiding bow hunters since 20 years ago but i ,bowhunted very few myself .My son is a guide and a bow hunter and both of us want to buy new bows ,im left handed and hes rigth handed ,we are big guys and our preys would be water buffalo ,russian boars capibara and red stag mostly .What bow do you recommend and what type of arrow and points .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan, if you have an archery shop down there, it's best to visit there. The world bow archery offers many bow, arrow, release, broadhead, and other options, it can be very confusing at first. You should try a few bows to see what you like, what pull weight, axle to axle length, and draw length. They could get you set up right from the start with a balanced outfit.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Look at the new Bowtech RPM 360.

Arrow weight around 465gr with a 125gr broad head for smaller game.

For water buffalo and arrow setup of around 750gr with a good quality cut on contact two blade broad head.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to an archery pro shop and shoot several and buy the one that you like. There are many good brands.
Nobody on this forum can tell you what the best bow is for you.
Good luck.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love my Mathews ChillR! The ChillX will probably be my next purchase.

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have been using Hoyts lately. I like the Mathews, but felt the Bowtech was noisy and felt awkward to shoot.

I'm wanting to try the new Elite. Have been hearing great things about it.

The advice to go to a bow shop and try some out is very good advice. My last one I thought I wanted the newest Bowtech from what I read, but after shooting them all I went with the Hoyt. PSE's are not what they used to be.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nate, try the Prime G5 Defy. Similar to the Elite in draw, but has some pretty neat innovations.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go Classic!

I have a mint PSE 4-wheeler I'd sell...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Matthews ChillR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:

Did you get a set of Rock Mods for yours yet? As mine is primarily a hunting bow, I went with the 85% let off mods. I was shooting 65 lbs, but with the new mods I feel it pulls easier and I'm holding less weight!

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WI Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:

Did you get a set of Rock Mods for yours yet? As mine is primarily a hunting bow, I went with the 85% let off mods. I was shooting 65 lbs, but with the new mods I feel it pulls easier and I'm holding less weight!

Peter

Peter, help me out - what are Rock Mods? AIU

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Rock mods are simply a draw stop retrofit for the chill and ChillR. Rock mods will give the two bows a more solid back wall.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
Rock mods are simply a draw stop retrofit for the chill and ChillR. Rock mods will give the two bows a more solid back wall.

They do this, but they also change the draw cycle. They come in either 75% or 85% let off. You gain a little speed with the 75%, and lose a little with the 85% mods. However, the draw cycle is so smooth with the 85%, I was able to go from 65 lbs draw weight to 70 lbs and it feels easier. And with the 85% let off, it feels like you are holding nothing and could hold all day, like when that big buck steps behind a tree. I would recommend going to your local shop and giving them a try!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Go to an archery pro shop and shoot several and buy the one that you like. There are many good brands.
Nobody on this forum can tell you what the best bow is for you.
Good luck.

The truth of the matter is df06 is absolutely correct. What bow feels great to me might feel like absolute garbage to you. And seeings how you're the one that going to be paying for it, go to a well stocked pro-shop and shoot several different brands of bows.

Then buy the one that feels best to you!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
I was absolutely all set to buy a Hoyt Faktor 34 and then shot a Mathews Chill X (ridiculous name...) with the rock mod 85% letoff cams. I felt the draw was superior on the Mathews and felt incredibly smooth (slight edge over the Hoyt). The bow was also very quiet and more so than the Hoyt so I ended up buying the Mathews.

One challenge I faced is my draw length. I am 6'4" tall and draw right at 31 inches ( actually a bit longer but use a release, string loop and modified anchor point to make up a little extra in what the max draw the bow can offer). The only Mathews bow that would work for me (without custom-ordering one which I'd be stuck buying) is the Chill X. The Hoyts were much more draw length friendly and could get you out to at least 31" with mods to the cam, and further if needed with long-draw bows they offer.

Good luck, and as other posters said, shoot a bunch and decide what feels best for you.

-John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan - I think the advise of going to a good "Pro Shop" is a must do for you and Icky getting set up proper with good bow hunting equipment. Both of you will have very long draw lengths for sure. Hoyt would be my choice as their "long draw" setups would most likely fit you guys. Tips and setup along with being able to try a few different bows would be a must in my books. They "should?" set you up properly not only with a bow, but all the other accessories including proper spined arrows, release aids, broadheads and the like.

I don't know what kind of shops you have in the area that can be of help, but would give it a go if possible. Maybe I can bring a bow along next time down that way? Maybe I could hold my own with a bow, as you are well above and beyond my skills on the firearms level Smiler

Let me know if I can be of help and PM me specific questions my friend if you like.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Lots of great bow choices on the market today (Hoyt, PSE, Mathews, Bowtech, etc). Find a proshop that carries a wide variety and will let you try various bows. Outside of draw length and pull weights, you will find that arrow selection, like bullet selection, is a variable that will increase/decrease your success rates. This is especially true on the large thick skinned animals you have listed. The red stag will be much like shooting elk so gear arrow selection will be lighter than say for the water buffalo.

For broadheads, I love shooting the German Kinetics on thick skinned game.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan junior IKY hunted all his life with bow but lately hes guiding bowhunters full time and he need a new bow for him too as he wants to complete the SCI south american diamond with it .Juan father used to hunt a bit with bow but nows needs a new bow for sure LEFT HANDED so they need two bows .We are guiding many bow hunters and we need to improve our bowhunting skills .Here in our are there are many gunshops but none bowhunting shops with expert guidance .I believe they wil attend DSC show so perhaps there they can find something

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I,'ll be the odd duck, toss out the idea of checking out recurves or long bows.. Might take a little longer to get comfortable with a hunting weight for the smaller of the critters you mentioned, and a shorter range. But there is something about them, at least for me, an irresistible draw, so to speak..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muttly:
Guess I,'ll be the odd duck, toss out the idea of checking out recurves or long bows.. Might take a little longer to get comfortable with a hunting weight for the smaller of the critters you mentioned, and a shorter range. But there is something about them, at least for me, an irresistible draw, so to speak..

+1

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mathews bows rock!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sforbsy
posted Hide Post
Gerhard. Delport is on the money.

Posts: 193 | Location: The Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have missed this thread being posted and I don't know if Juan and his son has bought their bows yet.

But if they haven't, my first question would be what draw lengths they have.
Juan says that they are both big guys and if that means that their draw length is 31-33", their choices of bows are very limited and there are few to recommend.

If their draw length is 30" or shorter, they have plenty of high quality bows to choose from.

My own draw length is 32" and at the moment I am shooting a Bowtech Destroyer 340 at 70 lbs and 31" draw length with a long loop.
A great bow, but I don't like to use a long loop and I also think the ata of the bow is to short for my draw length.
I also plan to hunt Water buffs and Cape buffs with a bow and because of this, I want a bow that goes to 80 lbs draw weight.

Because of this am I buying a Bowtech Insanity CPXL with a 32" draw length and 70-80 lbs draw weight.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote