THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Pretty new to Archery, 3 questions...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pretty new to Archery, 3 questions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of THellURider
posted
1. Ok I'm out practicing with the bow today and I run across a problem. The peep sight seems to have switched ends. So now when I draw the bow the sight is "closed" to me. So either it flipped or the string has twisted. Can this indicate something bad? How do I fix it? Practicing further is useless as I have no sights.

2. What is the best method of setting the sight pins here? What are your reccomended ranges?

3. Can anyone reccomend a Archery/bow hunting book? I have no one in the area to teach me about these things and I have no clue where to go to learn.

~Marcus

Posts: 47 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it depends on the peep you are using. normally there are two types of peeps, a halo style, which is okay if it twists as it will still be visible to you, or the kind that have a rubber tube that attaches to the string. i use the latter, that way you know each time you pull it back you're going to be looking through the same spot.
as far as setting the sight pins, just remember to follow the arrow and you'll get it.
i don't have any books or anything to recommend, if you have any questions i'll try to answer them the best i can. i dislocated my shoulder a few years back on a dirt bike and just now am getting back into the sport, but before i hurt myself i was olympian class, ranked #2 in the u.s.

One of Us
Picture of THellURider
posted Hide Post
Well I called the closest Cabelas and spoke with the Archery folks the consensus seems to be that my string has stretched and now the halo style peep is backwards.

What ranges do you reccomend on the pins? 15, 25 and 45 yards? 20, 30, 50?

~Marcus

Posts: 47 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah i didn't think about that, if it is a brand new bow the string will stretch a little bit. not a terribly difficult fix if you have the tools, but if you are brand new to archery, make sure that you're hold position is the same each time as that will also affect how you see through the peep. a lot of people use kisser buttons to help with this, its up to you what you use, but make sure its in the same place.
ranges for pins depends on what type of shooting you will be doing, speed of the bow, expected arrow drop, etc. my bow is pretty fast, i have my pins set at 20, 40, and 60 yards. from 20 to 30 yards the arrow doesn't drop much at all, from 40 to 50 it drops about 3 inches, and anything past 60 yards i just guesstimate.

one of us
posted Hide Post

above is a pic of the setup on most of my compounds. I use a high nocset to keep the serving from working loose on my singlecam bows and a trueball Speed Nock nock alignment device for the peep alignment. Installing the speed nock AFTER the string has stretched insures a perfect peep every time.

speed nock

as per pin settings. I suggest beginning with 20 and increasing in 10yd incriments as accuracy is achieved.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't say if you are using a release and if so, what kind. If you are using one that attaches directly onto the string, your string and serving will last much longer using a "loop". Go to any archery shop and ask for one.

IMHO site pins should start at 20 and go up in either 10 or 20 yard increments. When hunting season rolls around, use one pin at 20-25 yards. OR shoot right over that big one when your first pin (60 yarder) settles behind his shoulder.

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
ncboman: looks like it's time for a new serving.
TR: A neat trick to get your sights close before you head to the range.
Sight in your top pin at 20 yds. Then sight in your 30 yd pin to hit 4 inches above the 20 yds point of impact. Do this with each succesive pin. A pin for 50 or yds may need to hit about 6 - 8 inches above the 40 yd group to allow for more drop.
This will have you hitting very close when you shoot at the actual yardages.
I prefer to shoot off the string as apposed to using a loop. The loop will cost you 1/2" in draw length and 5 fps, if that matters. When a serving gets ratty, have your pro shop re-serve it and have them only serve the small section needed to shoot, instead of 6". Less serving, less weight, more speed.
The speed nock is a good idea.
A great web site for archery is:
www.Archerytalk.com
Bt

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Here's a better link to Archerytalk: http://69.94.132.128/vb/index.php
Bt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good tips on setting the pins. thumb

I might add that I like fine tuning the left/right at 40yds.

I don't care for the string loop either as my release serves much the same purpose.

I use a Gatorjaws which grips the string above and below the nock. Best release I've ever used by far. Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
quote:
I might add that I like fine tuning the left/right at 40yds.

Right on ! A little goes along ways. Bt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would put a pic of my bowsting, with the perfect serving and loop, but I wouldn't want to embarrass anybody with a bunch of metal knockpoints places at the ends of new sections of serving. Think about it this way, nobody will steal it. animal

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P. Steve Morgan:
I would put a pic of my bowsting, with the perfect serving and loop, but I wouldn't want to embarrass anybody with a bunch of metal knockpoints places at the ends of new sections of serving. Think about it this way, nobody will steal it. animal

Go ahead and get all your chuckles out now. If we ever meet and shoot a round at unknown distances, we'll see who laughs from then on. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

quote:
Sincerely,
Steve Morgan

KY State Jr. Champ 1975-1978
National Field Archery Assoc. Jr. Champ 1978
KY Men's AA class Indoor Champ 1978 (HOA 600)
4th Men's AA class NFAA SE Sectionals 1979
KY State 5-pin Champ 1979 (new class)

P purty good.

I'm impressed. beer

Now I look forward to shootin all the more. Smiler