Find
Notify
Tools

Aus Buff with Bow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

Joined the forum to get info re reloading ammo ... didn't realise there's bowhunting here ... some Aus Water Buff I hunted with a bow in Australia. (hope I posted the pics correct)

Cheers,
Eugene

Posts: 26 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beasts for sure. They dwarf our whitetails around here.

Tell us about your equipment set-up and broadheads you use.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eugene, welcome aboard AR. Those are big animals to take with a bow. Nice!

Posts: 20072 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Well done Eugene, nice work on some good Bulls, but that first bull is a real ripper, old heavy sweeper, carrying the weight out there & square right out from his head, I have guided on Buffalo for over 20 years & that's a nice old guy !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eugene, they are fantastic bulls!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

Dustoffer: Between 3 of us we have bow-hunted well over 80 buff. (if you ask my buddies, they reckon its over 100) I have taken 35 of them. We have "experimented" a bit re draw weights, arrow weights and broad heads over a number of years ... nowadays we shoot them with 70lbs bows with around 840 grain (total arrow weight) arrows with either German Kinetic 210 grainer or Outback Supreme 220 grain single bevel ... we also add a 75 grain easton brass insert = around 300 grain upfront.

Personally I have shot them with compound bows (IBO rated 320-340) ranging from 68 - 86lbs @ 32" draw with total arrow weight ranging from 650 - 850 grains ... IMO heavier arrows are better and arrow weight trumps speed ... you get more bang for your buck increasing arrow weight opposed to increasing speed ... relating to penetration.

A 70 lbs compound with a total arrow weight over 800 grains (I prefer closer to 850 grains) and a sharp, heavy duty/strong 2 blade COC bh will reliably reach the vitals from all acceptable shooting angles and distances (20-40 yards) e.g. double lung = they go 50-70 yards before expiring. Our one-arrow kill ratio is I guess +70% ... the ones not killed with one arrow relates to poor shot placement, bad shot angles or +40 yards shots.

Anyways ... my view of the world ... hope I answered your question.

Check out www.ausbuffsafari.com for more pics and other info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eugene--thanks for the run-down on your equipment. Somehow I knew you weren't shooting 5 gr/lb carbons with a mechanical BH. Big Grin I am a heavy arrow guy myself--shooting 525-gr total weight at 58-60 lbs and 28 DL on whitetail deer and feral hogs. Generally a pass-through on deer every time but on pigs over 150 lbs, seldom get a pass-through, though still a dead pig.

I'm an old guy so no way I could pull 70.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pleasure

quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Eugene--thanks for the run-down on your equipment. Somehow I knew you weren't shooting 5 gr/lb carbons with a mechanical BH. Big Grin I am a heavy arrow guy myself--shooting 525-gr total weight at 58-60 lbs and 28 DL on whitetail deer and feral hogs. Generally a pass-through on deer every time but on pigs over 150 lbs, seldom get a pass-through, though still a dead pig.

I'm an old guy so no way I could pull 70.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eugene

Thanks for posting the photos! Awesome bulls.

JCHB

Posts: 411 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Very nice gallery at ausbuffsafari.com.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16279 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Awesome photos Eugene, that looks like great fun.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin ... thanks for your comment ... yes, I enjoy being out there !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a fairly exciting hunt! Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1093 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comment

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EugeneB:
Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

Dustoffer: Between 3 of us we have bow-hunted well over 80 buff. (if you ask my buddies, they reckon its over 100) I have taken 35 of them. We have "experimented" a bit re draw weights, arrow weights and broad heads over a number of years ... nowadays we shoot them with 70lbs bows with around 840 grain (total arrow weight) arrows with either German Kinetic 210 grainer or Outback Supreme 220 grain single bevel ... we also add a 75 grain easton brass insert = around 300 grain upfront.

Personally I have shot them with compound bows (IBO rated 320-340) ranging from 68 - 86lbs @ 32" draw with total arrow weight ranging from 650 - 850 grains ... IMO heavier arrows are better and arrow weight trumps speed ... you get more bang for your buck increasing arrow weight opposed to increasing speed ... relating to penetration.

A 70 lbs compound with a total arrow weight over 800 grains (I prefer closer to 850 grains) and a sharp, heavy duty/strong 2 blade COC bh will reliably reach the vitals from all acceptable shooting angles and distances (20-40 yards) e.g. double lung = they go 50-70 yards before expiring. Our one-arrow kill ratio is I guess +70% ... the ones not killed with one arrow relates to poor shot placement, bad shot angles or +40 yards shots.

Anyways ... my view of the world ... hope I answered your question.

Check out www.ausbuffsafari.com for more pics and other info.

You didn't specify what exact arrow you are using, so I was wondering?

I am assuming the Easton Dangerous Game FMJ considering the insert but would you mind clarifying?

Some really good, useful info in your post, thanks!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Fishin...

Perosnally i prefer easton fmj 17.4 gpi ... Although i have used gold tip kinetics .200 spine as well where the easton insert also work.

Thanks & regards
Eugene

One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Congrats and welcome. Wild Bovine are notoriously hard to put down -- looks like you found the magic formula -- love those German Kinetics. I'll be using them in Zambia for hippo next month.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arrowslinger

Thats sounds an awesome hunt. I was born and bred in africa (lived there for 38 years) before immigrating to aus. Been to zambia once, farm bordering the kafue national park with the kafue river running through. It is an absolutely amazing place ... wild africa with lots of hippo and pissed off elephants. I wish you well and please post your journey.

Yes i also love the german kinetics bh's ... A bh that stood the test of time and has taken many of the largest african animals. Actually markus and ingo from gk is coming over for a bow hunt with me in july.

All the best
Eugene