New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of an archery elk hunt in 08. Any suggestions? I was thinking of New Mexico but I will go anywhere.I guess the big variable would be the draw process. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
New Mexico has alot of Big Bulls but, they cost big bucks.

Private Land in CO is a good place to go as well. I have a buddy that hunts the National Forrest in CO during archery season and passes many bulls. He may go a year or two for that good one but he'll eventually baga pretty good one. I will admit he does more homework on areas than just about anyone I've known.

Yep, your right the draw may inhibit you. If you put in during 07 and get a PP maybe you'll be drawn by 08 depending on the area.

This year when I was looking for my elk hunt many of the outfitters said they liked archery hunting the best because of the rut. Many of those were real reasonable as well.

What are you looking to spend? Alot of the guys I talked w/ were charging from 3-5 grand.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just started the research and you are about right on for the price. I guess that is what I would be willing to spend if I was comfortable with the quality of service I was getting. I am not necessarily looking for the biggest bull, I would just like to experience being that close and having the opportunity for A bull. I can only hunt out west ever other year,I have a rifle hunt this year in My. That is why I am starting now for '08. Do you need to draw in CO? Thanks

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe you have to draw for any Archery Elk hunting in CO. The only OTC tags I'm aware of is for rifle season. MLer is draw as well.

If you find a Landowner that is in the "Ranching for Wildlife" program they may be able to get you archery tags w/o the drawing process. Heck, I talked to one fella in that program and he was taking rifle hunters in September. That's not high fenced operations either, it's a program CO DNR has set-up.

If you want me to dig up some of the outfits I found while looking for a rifle hunt, I'll look and see if I can find the numbers.

One that sticks out in my mind is a small family owned outfit South of Craig that just started guiding hunters on their family ranch a few years back. He said they've experienced 100% opportunities w/ their hunters and the hunt is fully guided w/ lodging and meals. The guy told me he loved to take archery hunters while the action is exciting.

I'll look and see if I have his number this weekend.

Another good place to look is in a magazine at Barnes & Noble bookstores by the name of Big Game or Big Game hunter (I'm not sure of the name but, you can't miss it because it's about as thick as 3 other magazines). I called several outfits in that Mag expecting the price to be unbelieveable but, to my surprise many were reasonable but, most of them stayed booked years in advance and that right there ought to tell you something. They told me they had to be legit to be in that magazine and that the Magazine editors hunted w/ them for their approval to advertise in their mag. The only reason we were successful in booking w/ one of them is because one of the outfitters had a group of his regulars cancel in order to go on an African safari instead. He had repeat customers every year and luckily we were able to get that cancelation spot.

It is best to really do your research. We almost got screwed by a deal that seemed to good to be true. Call the DNR in that area and speak w/ them about the outfiter. Also go to some of the websites that post reviews on outfitters. Don't rely on the outfiter's references because if they are crooked, they'll have you set up into thinking they're great. Also think private land, private land that's nowhere near a National forrest. There are those that disagree and I know there is game on the Nat Forrest but your chances at a good bull multiply if you get into a deal where the owner has 1000s of acres surrounded by nothing but other private land that is all properly managed.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Chain,

We do bow hunting only on elk in the Missouri Breaks in Montana. Dean will clue you in when you go out this fall for your mulie.

Plenty of nice bulls there.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ann I thought you had left the country.Does he do archery Elk?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess he does do archery elk. I was thinking(happens rarely) and typing at the same time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I left Michigan but am alive and well in the Green Mountains of Vermont. Razzer

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ar eyou still doing your day job Ann?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still at it, just with a better employer.

My "night job" also continues, good hunts always available.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can buy OTC archery tags in CO. but many GMUs are draw only.

"No one but he who has partaken thereof can understand the keen delight of hunting in lonely lands."

Posts: 59 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote